Three 20" bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Came across these 3 today. Need some help figuring out what they are. I can't decide if I will go ahead and get them or not...... :? Sorry for the poor pics. Was in a barn w/ the phone.

Boys Ross 20" bike w/ apes. My first thought is a Ross Polo.

Ross badge

Girls Sears frame. Possibly an early girls Spyder?

Here's whats different about it. The Sears decal is small.....about the size of a dime.....IF that. Plus it has those tabs sticking out of each side. None of my other Sears bikes are like this.

Last is this unknown girls 20" bike. It has solid rubber tires and that lower tube has a unique shape to it.

Another view:

Input is always welcome!! Thanks!

The junked Sears bike is Murray built tank bike (that is purpose of those tabs) from the 1960s. Some will say it is a Spaceliner, but that is not always the case, it could very well be ANY 1960s Sears cruiser. Sadly, given the rust, you'll spend a lot of money trying to bring it back. "He's dead, Jim."

partsguy said:
Sadly, given the rust, you'll spend a lot of money trying to bring it back.

That's what I thought too at first. But I think a little time in the glass beader would reveal a good frame. They're really not as bad as the photos show.

Sears dropped the JC Higgins name after 1963, though it still shows up on later bikes as they used up leftover parts. But, as seen here, the tank bikes had a headlight that wraps around the head tube. That's why they only had room for the small Sears logo. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Sears dropped the JC Higgins name after 1963, though it still shows up on later bikes as they used up leftover parts. But, as seen here, the tank bikes had a headlight that wraps around the head tube. That's why they only had room for the small Sears logo. -Adam
That helps a bunch....thanks!

Latest posts

Back