Thoughts on Creme or White tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I'm going to be starting my wife's resto soon. IIRC she has 26x1.75 WW's stuffed under her purple frame. I'm hoping I can stuff some 2.125's in there.

I think Creme or White tires would really pop, especially for a girl's bike. But will they get excessively dirty?

What's the ride difference between something like a Felt tire and a Taiwain tire?

IMO the Duro creme is a great tire at a nice price.
Franks are killer, but more $ and much bigger.
+1, the white Duro's on my Firebolt ride nice. They get a little dirty, but I'm kind of a neat freak so I keep them clean! :crazy:

The tread, where it contacts the road, will get completely and totally dirty = black. You either accept and tolerate this, or you waste a lot of time trying to keep them clean. :)

I have a extra set of each if you need ,?

~RafaeL~

You could always go with whitewalls. Though the majority of the time, bikes are viewed from the side anyway. I wouldn't let the fear of dirty tread sway your decision.

The tread, where it contacts the road, will get completely and totally dirty = black. You either accept and tolerate this, or you waste a lot of time trying to keep them clean. :)

Yeah, there is no way to stop that from happening. Here's some pics of my tread and sidewalls, I try and keep the sidewalls as clean as possible.

Best close up I have of the sidewall...

I've used a couple kinds of creme tires and my new project has creme thick bricks on it but haven't ridden it yet. I love the look but you have to accept that they get dirty.

I have Fat Franks on one bike that has the most miles on it and I have to say that they are more resistant to looking dirty. I had creme Duros on it before and as they are a softer rubber, they got dirty faster and stayed that way. Basically ended up looking like whitewalls. These were a squarer tire than the Fat Franks so it was pretty even on the tread. I actually didn't mind the look. Magic Erasers are your friend with these or whitewalls.

Duros with a few miles on them.

630_48.jpg

This is actually an older picture but dirty from riding off the road.

630_24.jpg

Same bike with Fat Franks after many miles.

2013-12-22%252010.17.23a.jpg

I know the pictures look out of order because of the fender situation but the full fender one was an experiment that I didn't stick with.

I run some Cream SFFranks on my main rider; definitely the cruiser that gets the most miles, and probably gets more mileage than the road bike, too. This one sees at least a short jaunt pretty much every day. The Franks have been in use for over 2 years. One flat, not a whole lot of wear, etc. Now, the grease smudges on the sidewall (my fault) and the dirtyiness on the treads and throughout (unavoidable on a rider) don't bother me, but they'd probably drive a fastidious guy nuts.

Nick'sgarage, above, brings up an interesting note with the magic eraser.... I might have to try it.

Here are the tires for my new build. Will probably use the 24s but built the 26s as an alternative. The 26s are Project 346 Balloons. Both are Felt wheels.

wheels01.jpg

wheels03.jpg

wheels04.jpg

For real, the English word---in the UK, the USA, and maybe even Australia-- is "cream". "Creme" is an acceptable word in English, being a loanword from French, and it needs the little doo-dad (acute diacritic accent mark) over the first "e". It'd correctly be pronounced "kremm". "Cream", the English version, has Anglo-French origins and probably dates back to the Middle English language.

Recently, "creme" has been co-opted by marketers as a way of making their cream-colored products seem more bourgie-- eg, women's clothes, or curtains.

So, yeah. Go with "cream" for your tires, unless you're the kind of person who orders a "Mc-quah-sawn" at the fastfood joint, or a half pound of "sweece" at the deli counter...
:rockout:

Here is an edited version of what I found when I typed into google "what is creme" and "what is cream"

creme
kriːm/
noun
noun: creme; plural noun: cremes
1. 1. 
a substance or product with a thick, creamy consistency."self-tanning creme"

cream
kriːm/
noun
noun: cream
a very pale yellow or off-white colour.
"the dress is available in white or cream"

So I think that when referring to the colour of ones tyres, cream should be used. But if the tyres are melting on a very hot road surface and become a thick creamy consistancy, then creme can be used.

Glen.

:D

Yeah, except that the first definition applies to "cream", too. I don't think I'd buy shaving cream if the label had the foo-foo spelling: "shaving creme". I just googled "shaving creme", and nothing came up w/ that spelling.

"Creme" is a French word that we've co-opted lately. You can pretty much interchange them (I've often seen foodstuffs referred to as "creme"), but if you say "kreem" you ought not be typing it as "creme".

Back