Those big headlights

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see a lot of rats with big motorcycle style headlights. Where are you getting them? How do you power them. It sounds weird but I feel a bike can be super cool but with out a nice headlight it kinda looks empty.
Maybe it's just me

tractor headlights are one of the most common., wiring them to a powersource just takes a little creative ingenuity., couple good nine volts.. in some brightly lit cases Four 9v.

I prefer a header on everything I ride, even if its just tanklights ;)

In the SHOW ME YOUR sub forum there is a Headlight Taillight Gallery
Also in the HOW TO section there are a few threads on LED-izing or lighting it up with other methods.
Fire truck or police spotlights also make cool big headlights.

You can pickup old tractor lights on eBay fairly cheap. Take apart an led flashlight, wire it up with a battery pack and toggle switch and blaze on! I've used old motorcycle running lights and spotlights also.

Just did an LED CO version, it looks and works great. I'mean a out to a rear light using the same conversion in an old 40's car blinker. Pretty easy with door results

I considered mounting a bracket for a 12 volt 7 ah battery (like in a security system) they are rechargeable and in theory you could wire up a car stereo to it if you really wanted, obviously you could put several in parallel for more power.
I also thought a tank could be good for this as it would give you somewhere to mount a set of (bluetooth) speakers.
I would say that I have never done either, and that as the batteries are relatively heavy the weight would be better lower.

Go to an automotive swap meet for vintage cars. You should find loads of cool spotlight/headlight assemblies. Then you just fill them with LED lights and power them up! LED's are available most anywhere, tear down a flashlight or search ebay. For 12V power, the small A23 battery is a good choice. ebay also has the wired trays for them, cheap.

The one I put on my build, I got from rebel56 who got it from another member. 50s and 60s motorcycles had that large headlight in a metal base. When you start getting 70s and up, you will get into plastics, fiberglass and then composites...

One of many options ive done for lighting, I cut the back out of a sealed beam headlight and jb welded a 1057 automotive light socket ring into it, and went and picked up a couple super bright led 1057 bulbs. They can be powered with 10 hearing aid batteries, or 4 2032 wafers, or 8 aaa. Just gotta get to 12 volts. The batteries fit within the headlight housing. Leds use so little power they last awhile..

I have also added containers to hold the larger celled batteries before, back before LEDs gave us so many more options...

Last edited:
CeeBee, that spotlight looks huge man! And, that frame and tank off to the right looks cool!!!:)

My grandfather knew a guy in World War 2 who shipped home a spotlight from a Japanese battleship, communication shutters and all. Would take some custom work, but it could probably be made to work on a bike, right?

thanks folks, I'll keep an eye out for a tractor light on ebay. I've done the led flashlight trick before so I'm good there. I have a $20 Chinese led light on my motorized bike tight now, it's hella bright but it looks too modern. I don't want to chop it up because I like to be able to put it on my road bike if I ever ride that at night. I guess I could get another one and chop that up...hmmm

thanks folks, I'll keep an eye out for a tractor light on ebay. I've done the led flashlight trick before so I'm good there. I have a $20 Chinese led light on my motorized bike tight now, it's hella bright but it looks too modern. I don't want to chop it up because I like to be able to put it on my road bike if I ever ride that at night. I guess I could get another one and chop that up...hmmm
I remember those lights on my old Farmall tractor.. they're 6 volts.. just merely a single bulb screwed in behind the glass len.. somewhat it may be hard to find.. they're about 4-1/2" diameter, tear drop shape, and got some heft.. due to abuse being used on tractor, it must withstand some bashing out in the field

I am currently the high bidder on this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121732138704?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I can do 6 volts with 4 aa batteries.
Wow.. they looks better than the ones I used to have..
the ones I used to have, were rusting, cracked or chipped lens, yellowing of reflector, one had corroded bulb socket, even some dent from falling objects..
...., I miss those Farmall 'H' .. they were good tractors, had to sell them due to divorce and moving into city

I got it today. I hooked 6v up to it and it was dim. A 9v made it brighter. Could it be a 12v tractor headlight?

I got it today. I hooked 6v up to it and it was dim. A 9v made it brighter. Could it be a 12v tractor headlight?
Depends on the year of tractor the light is for, and the voltage bulb in the case. Sounds like its a 12volt bulb, should be easy enuff to put a six volt bulb in its place..

Building... riding...

Latest posts

Back