Thinking of taking the plunge into cruisers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am been lurking here for a while. I live in the suburbs of Chicago. I have been contemplating buying a new bike to cruise around. Most likely a Felt Revolver but they're are out of stock from Felt to at least mid-August. Currently I ride a road racing bike and yes wear lycra but do not consider myself an elitist. My daily ride has been a '71 Schwinn World Traveler that I converted to single speed until the rear wheel sprung while riding(which hurt..bad). So anyways I want a cruiser or so I think. Just something to commute with and casually ride without lyrca or fancy shoes. The area I ride does have a few hills but nothing major with longest commute 10 miles one way. Am I thinking too crazy to ride 10 miles on a cruiser? Not that speed is important on a cruiser but whats an expected average speed? Whats anyones thoughts on the Revolver? Anybody own one? Just wondering if i want to wait for it or not or maybe look at something else.
Thanks
Jeremy

Depending on terrain and gearing, probably 15 mph average. If you're geared in the 67-70" range, 10 miles should be no problem for some one who rides regularly, just add 1/2 again to your time allotment.

Good to see you saw the light! I'm 57 and have no problem doing 10 on a cruiser. Is it "harder" to do? NO....Just takes longer. There's room for BOTH. (I don't now, or probably never would have, looked good in Lycra.)

All cruisers aren't heavy, especially with an aluminum frame. You can get a set of tires with a tread pattern made for the bike paths, not too aggressive, so it may not be that much different than the world traveler, except more comfortable and laid back.

I'm an out of shape 40 year old who just did 10+ miles Sunday with my kids. My bike is a new Electra Super Deluxe. When we got back, I wasn't feeling the lest bit tired but that may have been due to the refreshing thunderstorm we rode through. My First commute on the bike was a very hilly 8 mile ride. I learned from that ride that having the seat set for comfort not style would be better for my knees.

Possibly look into balloon tire cruisers that offer internal geared hubs ranging from 3 to 8 speeds for the hills. :mrgreen:

Hey, thanks for all the replys. I actually live in Montgomery but its usually easier to say outside of Aurora. I am kinda eager to get one and ride in style along with comfort. Granted I like my road bike but its a love hate relationship. One can go fast on it but no wheres near practical to cruise or casually ride.

Back