thinking of Brooks saddle......but........

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they comfy? i mean really comfy? i have a brand new Electra delivery 8, the seat i have is OK, but squeaks a lot......and hurts my "in between" area something fierce!! i saw a brooks saddle and fell in love with the look!! the cool front and rear springs were awesome. but they don't really seem too comfy for my daily 8 mile rides. so if they are worth it, which model is best for a cruiser bike that does daily 6-15 mile rides?

Going from non leather saddles my whole life to a Cardiff and an older saddle both Brooks style. I do have to say their different but getting them setup is the key. On my BSA fixie I had the Cardiff quite loose on the tension as I thought it would give more slack and not be stiff and hard. It was completely opposite. Now it's a dream to ride. I haven't worked up to an actual Brooks saddle but I don't think I could go back to the gel or whatever else they have out now. I do want a complete carbon saddle. Carbon rails and shell...no padding. You have to condition them also to break them in properly. I'm not a big fan sprung saddles also.

Its probably worth mentioning that if you get a brooks (or other leather saddle) expect it to be uncomfortable for some time until it breaks in and molds your backside. There are some methods on the net which might be helpful in speeding up the process.

thanks for the reply's guys. i expected to have a break in time. but again my main question is....are they good seats for casual 6-15 mile a day rides?

I love the look of a Brooks, but could not justify spending more for a seat than I spent on my 3 cruisers combined. I just ordered a seat from Felt for there "Hot Wheels" bike. It's looks similar and comes in at $45. I'm gonna slap it on my Schwinn SSX.

I've got a Wrights 90/3B equal to a Brooks B90/3B and the slightly smaller Wrights W5 equal to the Brooks B33 - they are both amazing, the best saddles ever, I go on 50 mile rides and no problem with comfort. I feel fortunate to own them as they were both N.O.S.

I have a Brooks saddle on my mountain bike and once it was broken I could not believe how good it felt. I've never used on on a cruiser but I can't imagine it'd be too different.

Brooks are very comfy! Maybe first one-two weeks saddle will be a little harsh, but after time saddle from pressed leather (like Brooks, Lepper, Guyes etc) saddle will most convenient for you to form.
for Electra Straight 8 i'll reccomend Brooks B67 or Brooks Flyer with springs. I have Flyer Aged - it's masterpiece!

Bryman31 said:
thanks for the reply's guys. i expected to have a break in time. but again my main question is....are they good seats for casual 6-15 mile a day rides?

for what you're describing i think they're great. i have or have had b17's, b72's, and whatever is the unsprung version of the b72....i forget. they are all on fairly upright bikes- my rivendell atlantis and several klunkers. i find i can ride them for a few hours w/out real bike shorts quite easily. i do set them up fairly nose high so my butt stays firmly planted on the wider rear part of the saddle. i realize this is the opposite of what you will probably read on most online sources. of course this only works on an upright bike. i don't think i'd care for a brooks on a more agressively positioned road or mountain bike where you have to rock the pelvis forward. if you're not trying to break in that one certain spot i find them comfy enough right out of the box- assuming the shape you've chosen matches your riding style. i also stay away from the oilier presoftened versions. the basic black saddle, if not overly 'lubed' won't leave dirt-attracting oily areas on your shorts. my personal opinion is that many a brooks has been ruined by too much "maintenance"........ :)

My favorite is my b72, had it for 20 years. It doesn't have big springs, just the single coils in the rear. It's still going strong. Usually on a 10-15 mile ride, I have to get out of the saddle more often especially towards the end of the ride. Not with the Brooks, I'm just aware of other areas that are getting sore, like knees and wrists.

I have three B67s - I like the slightly wider saddle. Have used them on everything from cruisers to Schwinn Varsitys to mtn. bikes - love 'em on everything. There IS that break-in period, but I found them pretty comfortable even in the beginning. Not like a big fat springer cruiser saddle, but comfy in their own way. I've heard more people complain about their price than ever about their comfort...

Hammond Eggz said:
I have three B67s - I like the slightly wider saddle. Have used them on everything from cruisers to Schwinn Varsitys to mtn. bikes - love 'em on everything. There IS that break-in period, but I found them pretty comfortable even in the beginning. Not like a big fat springer cruiser saddle, but comfy in their own way. I've heard more people complain about their price than ever about their comfort...

see, my bike now has an 11 inch wide cruiser saddle, i dont think brooks has anything that wide, i do like it but brooks has a few springer saddles.................

Hello Bryman31,

I'm a brooks user for nearly half a century. :D
On my Cruiser I use a Brooks B-190 ---- 10" wide a true throne. 8)
You'll also need a new seatpost mine not exactly correct by I got about 900 miles
on it, so it seems to be OK. :wink:

Cheers.
005.jpg

006-1.jpg

Would strongly advise against clamping a double rail like this. This is the best way to snap it if both rails aren't clamped. Buy a seatclamp sandwich - a piece with a longer bolt that fits over what you've got so both rails are clamped. Or use old style post and clamp it came with.

Bryman31 said:
Hammond Eggz said:

see, my bike now has an 11 inch wide cruiser saddle, i dont think brooks has anything that wide, i do like it but brooks has a few springer saddles.................

True, the B67 is more like 8 1/2" wide, but even though most of my cruiser seats are in the 10"+ range, I still find the Brooks very comfy (although in a different way), and really easy to ride.
You've got to get what works for you, your anatomy, and your riding style though!

Back