Thiefs and Scrappers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scrap mainly because it gives me money to fund my hobby and an excuse to go to the scrapyard and look for interesting junk and bikes. I don't steal stuff and when I do find something thrown out I take my lock and lock it to a pole or fence (So another junker can't take off with it) then I ask about it and confirm it is being tossed. I also make sure their yard is picked up and clean before I leave. I have also learned another trick, If I see a bike at a yard sale and don't have the cash I'll ask "Can I mow your yard in exchange for the bike?" about 60% of the time it works. :mrgreen:

You could spend the afternoon in the backyard and probably get 10 people a day driving through the alley stop and ask if they can haul something out of your yard. If its on the curb its fair game in my opinion, it's almost worse than telemarketers have been in the past.

We are at the point right now that gas is so high and steel is so low that the scrappers aren't out and about. Once steel goes up or gas goes down, I'm on the lookout. Less than 5 feet under my carport that leads to the alley there is a 100 lb. cast iron sink, and nobody has touched it, been there 2-3 weeks. I'm actually trying to sell it, haha.

someone got Mrs. Chocolates garden bike a couple weeks ago...I figure it was a scrapper, they left the basket...it was garbage night...
btw...Hey Outskirt is that Hot Rod Jen for your profile?...cool!

yoothgeye said:
We are at the point right now that gas is so high and steel is so low that the scrappers aren't out and about. Once steel goes up or gas goes down, I'm on the lookout. Less than 5 feet under my carport that leads to the alley there is a 100 lb. cast iron sink, and nobody has touched it, been there 2-3 weeks. I'm actually trying to sell it, haha.

That's why I ride a bike with a trailer, no matter how high gas gets I still make profit on every trip. :mrgreen:

I have a huge pile of bikes in part of my back yard, I have a section of fence where the boards are kinda loose and falling down, I have had a couple of people stop by just to see the pile and ask for parts. I need to make it tight for that real privacy fence. I leave bikes out front and not a one has walked away at all.

Mowing my yard today, the huffy rides by with an older guy carrying a case of beer on the handlebars. I yelled hey that's my bike, the guy gets off an starts apologizing saying he just borrowed it from his friend 2 blocks away, I asked were his friend got it and he says he bought it off some kids. At this point I'm just mad, I don't know if this guy is feeding me a line but he sure is quick to leave the bike. Like he's been caught before, the other thing is I know the house he's talking about and it's on the same block as my parents. I let the guy go with the bike, I just told him to tell his buddy I know where to look if something goes missing again.

CCR said:
Mowing my yard today, the huffy rides by with an older guy carrying a case of beer on the handlebars. I yelled hey that's my bike, the guy gets off an starts apologizing saying he just borrowed it from his friend 2 blocks away, I asked were his friend got it and he says he bought it off some kids. At this point I'm just mad, I don't know if this guy is feeding me a line but he sure is quick to leave the bike. Like he's been caught before, the other thing is I know the house he's talking about and it's on the same block as my parents. I let the guy go with the bike, I just told him to tell his buddy I know where to look if something goes missing again.
You sir are a good man and I have great respect for you as I'd have flying monkey tackled him off my bike!

You are a better man than I. I work my tail off for what I have, and unless I willingly donate it to a worthy cause, it's mine and I plan to keep it.

Back