THIEF IN MY SHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister showed up at my shop (I'm out of town) to get so pics of some new bikes we scored from a friend. She heard a russelling of bikes and parts from our shed out back, she turned the corner to see a guy fishing out a wheel from my shed! She yelled and he kept on like nothing was going on. He finally stopped from walking back to his golf cart which is parked in someone elses yard and says "what?"
She processed to yell at him as to what he was doing, permission to be here etc. He said he needed a wheel.

We know this guy from down the street but we dont know him in a way that he can enter our yard and take what he needs. Also he parked in someone elses yard and snuck through our fence and backyard to get to our shop. Well once he told her he need the wheel, she said "You know I could call the cops?" He freaked and started to apologize and asked how much for the wheel. My sister said $5 and the guy gave her $10.
Well we talked to the neighbors and they claim stuff like bikes and lawnmowers have gone missing, so we immediately filed a police report and are filing charges for trespassing and theft.
If this guy just asked for a wheel, I would have given it to him for free. I give parts away to people locally all the time. Also since he was being so sneaky, we figured he has done this before. He knew exactly how to navigate through our yard like he had been there before. I am having my sister send pictures of the shed so I can verify whether more than that wheel was taken or not.
Also what makes more even more mad is that he didnt need the wheel, so he could get to work or doctor appointment, he has a golf cart and 2 cars!! He said he needed it for fishing or something like that!
So the charges are to show we arent messing around when it comes to messing with our family and our stuff. Keep to yourself and we will too. Our town is like 800-900 people. We all know each other, you shouldnt have to sneak and steal. Jee-Whiz!

Might be tough to press charges. Because your sister gave him a price, and he paid for it! Good luck, I'd do the same thing you're doing. :x

I thought the same thing, but when we talked to the officer, they claimed that was a deal made once the man was caught stealing the wheel. If he wasnt stopped he would have taken the wheel home.

It sounds like this guy has a history of breaking and entering. He might not have needed a wheel at all but was taking a look inside to see what else was there and then just came up with the excuse for a wheel after he was busted. He might have driven the golf cart with the idea of hauling back something too big or bulky to carry, and the golf cart would be quieter than his car, which suggests intent and premeditation. Looks like he picked a time that nobody was supposed to be there, either (you were out of town and your sister dropped by unexpectedly). If it was me, I'd clean everything out of there but a big sign calling this guy an a-hole, and since that would be a private message just for him, I'd ask the police to keep an eye on him and make their presence known, and ask anyone else who had something go missing to mention that to the police as well.

And as a general rule, you don't want to keep any tools in the shed which can be used to break into your home or business. I can't remember where I came across the information, but it said that experienced thieves always check the shed first for tools before breaking into a house, that way they don't have to be caught carrying anything or lose money after the break-in by ditching the tools they used.

GodHatesCleveland said:
It sounds like this guy has a history of breaking and entering. He might not have needed a wheel at all but was taking a look inside to see what else was there and then just came up with the excuse for a wheel after he was busted. He might have driven the golf cart with the idea of hauling back something too big or bulky to carry, and the golf cart would be quieter than his car, which suggests intent and premeditation. Looks like he picked a time that nobody was supposed to be there, either (you were out of town and your sister dropped by unexpectedly). If it was me, I'd clean everything out of there but a big sign calling this guy an a-hole, and since that would be a private message just for him, I'd ask the police to keep an eye on him and make their presence known, and ask anyone else who had something go missing to mention that to the police as well.

And as a general rule, you don't want to keep any tools in the shed which can be used to break into your home or business. I can't remember where I came across the information, but it said that experienced thieves always check the shed first for tools before breaking into a house, that way they don't have to be caught carrying anything or lose money after the break-in by ditching the tools they used.
Thanks! Well, we know the guy, we just did some fundraising with him last weekend, and he is a really really fat guy, so he is always driving the golf cart instead of walking.

does he have a learning disability ? theres a few around here like that, often they mean no harm and dont really know what there doing is wrong, but they do seem to "make thierselves welcome" if no one is around. they also appear to be completely normal functioning people unless youve encountered them before. cant say ive been in your shoes other than kids looking around to see if thier stolen bike has ended up at my place.

CCR may be right here.

I do a bit of work with the disabled and it is very common for them to have no concept of "ownership" and get into a bit of trouble without supervision. Kind of like kids in the under-8 yrs age group. They frequently also have trouble guaging the levels of relationships, so having done some fundraising with him recently may have caused him to infer a stronger relationship than exists.

Grossly overweight, home during the day, motor scooter, no reaction to being confronted all tend to point in that direction.

In a small town like yours the police will know if this is the case, and will act accordingly.

But knowing that still doesn't help with the feeling of violation when your property is invaded

You SHOULD pursue the matter, as his family need to know what happened and the authorities are the best people to solve the issue.

If it is straight theft, push to have him charged. If he is special needs, push for him to get the counciling and support he needs.

Good luck.

I have a neighbor that likes to poke around my place like that as well. About a month ago my wives car was in the shop so she took my van to work. He must have thought nobody was home and I had my tool shed opened because I was going to mow. Well I look out my kitchen window and there was someone in my shed. Well 1 hollow point pellet from the ol air riffle (10 pump) and I got to see who it was real quick. Funny he don't seem to come around anymore. It was a lesson for me though because my first thought was to grab the 12 guage, but common sense prevailed so I was proud of myself. A little buckshot in the behind does tend to teach a lesson though. :mrgreen:

Well, we talked to a few people throughout town who use to be his neighbor and they claimed their tools and stuff that was out in the open was stolen. These people only had this guy as a neighbor so it was obvious as to who stole it. Right now its up to the police to decide whether it this the person's history of theft or a one time deal or whatever. I'll keep yall updated.

Glad it wasn't my shed.
I have guns and my wife (nor I) are afraid to use them.
I'm glad your sister didn't end up in a bad situation,
it sounds like that was a possibility.

p.s. In Florida you can shoot lurkers, they don't have to be in your house.

Everybody is quick to say .I would shoot him if he was messing with my stuff. The truth is ,even if your right and you shoot someone in the wrong, several things happen. If you have never seen anybody shot with a shotgun ,its fairly gruesome, and can leave a lasting memory to even the strongest of us. The second thing is you have to hire an attorney....$5000 the cheapest. They dont just say "hey its ok he was in the wrong" They hold a grand jury hearing to see if you should be filed on. Then sometimes families of the person file a wrongful death suit ,that even if you win you loose lots of money in attorneys fees . It aint cheap to kill somebody. Call the police save your money. :wink: The only reason to shoot someone is if you or someone else will die if you dont.

Just be sure to bring them in the house after you shoot them. Then all is good. :mrgreen: Either that or live down the street from a Giant Hog farm like I do. No evidence that way. :eek:

Buck Masterson said:
Just be sure to bring them in the house after you shoot them. Then all is good. :mrgreen: Either that or live down the street from a Giant Hog farm like I do. No evidence that way. :eek:
Yeah the detectives that show up probably won't notice a large blood trail leading to your house . :wink:

Uncle Stretch said:
Everybody is quick to say .I would shoot him if he was messing with my stuff. The truth is ,even if your right and you shoot someone in the wrong, several things happen. If you have never seen anybody shot with a shotgun ,its fairly gruesome, and can leave a lasting memory to even the strongest of us. The second thing is you have to hire an attorney....$5000 the cheapest. They dont just say "hey its ok he was in the wrong" They hold a grand jury hearing to see if you should be filed on. Then sometimes families of the person file a wrongful death suit ,that even if you win you loose lots of money in attorneys fees . It aint cheap to kill somebody. Call the police save your money. :wink: The only reason to shoot someone is if you or someone else will die if you dont.

I understand and realize all that you have said.
I know the law and I know law enforcement.
I also know the price of not defending myself,
my family and my property.

With all that said, I would not shoot without a real threat.
My wife on the other hand...

Back