Thick Bricks with fenders?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any success with running thick bricks with fenders if so how did you get them to work? Im putting my thick bricks on a 50s schwinn spitfire with fenders but thinking I may have to go fenderless for them to fit. Ive done figured out the back tire aint going on aired up. I may just go fenderless and get all the dings and dents out of the fenders and try again later

They should fit and depends more on your frame. You may need to modify the fenders to fit closer to the frame.

Here is a bike I did. Felt Fenders on a 50' Schwinn Ballooner. Front 26x3, Rear 24x3

CIMG0980.jpg

Mine has a thick brick in the rear. I took a shrinker/stretcher to my fender and got it to fit but its really close and very tricky to get to where it doesnt rub. I also had to put three coats of bondo on the fender to get it smooth again. :roll:

Here's mine

Thick Brick in rear. It is tight at the seat stays with fenders but nothing you can't fix with a little hammering :wink:
Just need to make sure the fender is tight up against the seat stays.

blackbike008-8.jpg

blackbike006-9.jpg

There would be more then enough room in front to use a Thick Brick.

Skipton you just have some sick fabbing skills, I managed to get the front to work but couldnt get the rear to work so I took the fenders off for now. going to try to rework the fenders

Thanks!... No super fabbing skills from me :roll: ... just lucky :wink:

I just realized your spitfire is a 24" I just don't think there is room for a Thick Brick with a fender on a 24" bike. Maybe if you bobbed the fender.

As they say on the Felt site ..."the inflated diameter nearly matches its 26 brother" much taller then a stock 24" tire.

You could always try a 26" fender on the rear, it workd for me.
You just have to put a spacer at the bottom where it ties into the frame and slightly shorten the rear fender stays to 'pull' it in on the ends (hope that makes sense.

For tire clearance, try flipping the chainring (if it's dished) and the rear sprocket (again if it's a modern dished sprocket) . I did it on my Fatbelly bike and it gave me another 1/4" of chain clearance around the tire. If you need more, the get a deep dished rear sprocket. http://www.chopperus.com has them for $30 or you can pick up one of the 'baby' OCC Sting-Rays, like this one I grabbed off of Craiglist for less than $30:

DSCF2505.jpg

If you do, you can use (or sell) the front forks easily to get your $$$ back.

Just my .02

Cheers,
Dr. T

Back