They freeze when they get wet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingola

Canadian Collection Connoisseur
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem water gets in my break and gear lines and well they don't work when they freeze. Any ideas how to keep them dry or not freezing. No gears I'm ok with but no breaks in winter tad scary and no @Captain Awesome I can't just move somewhere sunny

This is more of a problem on girls bikes where the cables loop down and up, like on the rear brake. Water collects and has no where to drain out and they can rust solid.

best bets:
Stainless steel cables
Teflon lined housing
light lube like Slick-50

This actually the first year I've had this problem winters here have become very wet.

Left work today and frozen again read ammonia will thaw out the cable so took a wiz on the break and bingo not pretty fix but hey
You're not doing the cables on any of my bikes, mister!
IMG_8208-e1507973339763.jpg

We whizzed on a frozen derailleur when a friend broke through ice mountain biking on a 20 degree F day. Worked like a charm.

Left work today and frozen again read ammonia will thaw out the cable so took a wiz on the break and bingo not pretty fix but hey

We whizzed on a frozen derailleur when a friend broke through ice mountain biking on a 20 degree F day. Worked like a charm.

An entirely different genre of Whizzer Bikes!! :rofl:

Ok narrowed it down I had already greezed and used stainless steel cables so figured routing
Open slots on the breaks and the thumb shifter points up
IMG_20231220_145045459.jpg
IMG_20231220_145039082.jpg

And sagging cables water is building up there and freezing
IMG_20231220_152002928.jpg
IMG_20231220_151958062.jpg

Latest posts

Back