The Yellow Spartan

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have a few more things to do which includes buying a chain... I repainted the fork and did the wheels. Made a little set up for pictures. I like how it came out... its something I've been thinking about building for a while and when I saw this bike for sale I knew it was the perfect one for what I wanted.

maybe 220 grit wet/dry using linseed oil as a sanding lube....this may give you some baddass looking paint, some metal and some rust all in one.(frame) Dried linseed oil will seal the resulting patina....

maybe 220 grit wet/dry using linseed oil as a sanding lube....this may give you some baddass looking paint, some metal and some rust all in one.(frame) Dried linseed oil will seal the resulting patina....
Decided to just leave the paint like this for a while. I will eventually do a repaint because I get bored with colors after a few years. I think it'll be a good two years before I go a seafoam green and white on this. or cobalt blue and white but anyway I will do something a lil better next time(paint wise). I kinda like having it as a beater paintjob that way I'm not afraid to scratch it or get it wet.

whats this method all about? any pics of results using thismethod?

awesome, awesome bike man

I will try to dig out some examples....I refinish furniture for a living,
and find crushed flaxseed(linseed oil-boiled) to be the best permanent
coating around...not just wood, but old painted steel as well....
I suggest getting out an old frame with old paint and trying it out...
The 220 grit(3M waterproof paper) to be the best to start with. It takes
small amounts of paint off slowly. You don't want to make the mistake of
going too far!! slowly. It comes in 80-600grit.
Dip the sandpaper in a bowl of oil, and wet sand
carefully with the 220grade with your fingers. You can polish/take off paint/polish steel this way down as far as you like..bit by bit. Once you get the look you want,
re-sand with 400 grade and wipe it down! Boiled linseed oil hardens
over time in the air. I also like to finish and protect this result with
Howards feed-n-wax, a non-solvent natural wax furniture product you can get at home depot & hardware stores..:thumbsup: ...

Awesome bike!!! More pics please!
IMG_8016_zpsb1e640f5-1.jpg
IMG_8024_zpsbf78f5c5-1.jpg

yet another skinny tire build. And a very nice one at that. Skinny tire builds have been very popular here at RRB lately.

Back