***The Viscount*** - It's rolling...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ***The Viscount***

AKB said:
I'm dumb.. What was that switch for? Anyways, sweet bike. Can't wait to see what you do with it :)

Thanks! You're not dumb... That's the shifter for the Sturmey 3-speed hub that came on the bike.

P5143698.jpg

The seat high up in the air seams to work best on this bike. Looks a bit big though, but only from the sideview. I had a sprung Brooks seat mounted high, but it was too wide wit the low handlebars. Yours seems a bit narrower. What model is it?

I almost always don't like the 26"front/24"rear combo. Visually, on a bicycle it'll get you the opposite result of 'big'n'littles' on a hotrod car! You loose (or ay least won't achieve) the all important hotrod stance. I'd go for the 26" and I would try to find a roadbike tire for the front (22 or 23mm) and a slightly fatter than what you have now for the rear.

The bike looks awesome already in the first pic.
8)

Three-wire,
I really like the looks of this bike with your minimalist direction. Which is why I think the first shot is the best, skinny tires, seat high, no grips. It looks like a surgeons knife, sleek, simple, with no un-needed parts for it's purpose.
If you polished it, you'd get cut for sure! :mrgreen:

This bike would look great 'raw' and polished or painted silver or stainless steel in color.
P6143746.jpg

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Dr. T

herr_rudolf said:
The seat high up in the air seams to work best on this bike. Looks a bit big though, but only from the sideview. I had a sprung Brooks seat mounted high, but it was too wide wit the low handlebars. Yours seems a bit narrower. What model is it?

Yeah, it looks a bit long in profile, but the bike is pretty small overall... I'm hoping that when I lace the saddle up it will improve the proportions a bit. I don't know what type of saddle it is as there's absolutely no markings on it anywhere. It was a late night low cost ebay impulse buy and the seller didn't know anything about it. Doubt it's a Brooks, but it's better than anything else I have.

herr_rudolf said:
I almost always don't like the 26"front/24"rear combo. Visually, on a bicycle it'll get you the opposite result of 'big'n'littles' on a hotrod car! You loose (or ay least won't achieve) the all important hotrod stance. I'd go for the 26" and I would try to find a roadbike tire for the front (22 or 23mm) and a slightly fatter than what you have now for the rear.

8)

Thanks! All I've been able to find are 35- & 37-590 tires. The ones in the picture are 37's. I now have two pairs in that size, so I think I'll stick with them. Unless I can find a 36 hole chrome 700C clincher rim, then the options go through the roof...but clearance might be an issue :)

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I really like the looks of this bike with your minimalist direction. Which is why I think the first shot is the best, skinny tires, seat high, no grips. It looks like a surgeons knife, sleek, simple, with no un-needed parts for it's purpose.
If you polished it, you'd get cut for sure!

This bike would look great 'raw' and polished or painted silver or stainless steel in color.

Thanks! When I entered this build-off I had all sorts of ideas to apply the English Roadster theme to this bike but after looking at these pictures, I'm not sure they'll work. The lines of the frame are so nice that I don't want to clutter them up with junque. Actually, I'm considering setting this frame aside for a resto-reno-vation since it looks so good as is. I've got a late-model Huffy cruiser cluttering up the garage that might fit better with the original theme. We'll see... This weekend is my anniversary and vacation, so I'm gonna sleep on it for a week and then decide. Can still do some disassembly work in the meantime.

Re: ***The Viscount*** - VICTORY!!!

aka_locojoe said:
herr_rudolf said:
8)
Agree.
MplsCoaster said:

Thanks guys... I appreciate the feedback. Decided to stick with this frame and build it in a slightly different direction to the original plan. I think you'll like the end result. :D

The current goal is to have the bike painted and rideable for the June 30th pub ride, but that may be a bit of a stretch goal. :?

Update:

P6193755.jpg

P6193759.jpg

VICTORY! The evil cotters have litterally been beaten out of their entrenched locations and will be properly punnished for resistance... :x All it took was a better fixture and a bigger hammer - classic American tactics. They will be replaced by pressing in a set of Grade A cotters (if I can get them): http://bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/cotters.html

Congratulations on getting the cotter pins out!
I'm too chicken to mess with mine. At least I know how big my hammer should be if I try :lol:

aka_locojoe said:

Thanks Randy.

I've had the house to myself this week, so I've been able to get enough done to get to a rideable state...
  • Disassembled and cleaned the donor wheels
  • Scrubbed and polished the salvaged spokes
  • Overhauled the high-flange aluminum roadie hub
  • Cleaned and overhauled my secret weapon rear hub - a Bendix red band 2-speed
  • Laced the wheelset for this bike
  • Cleaned the BB & Crank hardware
  • Filed the new cotters to fit

This is where we stand as of today...

2011-06-29_16-22-09_514.jpg

2011-06-29_16-22-25_612.jpg

2011-06-29_16-23-06_346.jpg

2011-06-29_16-23-42_753.jpg

Had to use some temporary pedals, and had to replace the chain since the original snapped on me during the first test ride. Got in a short test ride around the block today just to see how the old codger rolls. My house thermometer read 102 this afternoon and it's in the shade, so it was a short test ride... Rides very smooth, and wants to go fast! The drivetrain is very quiet even though the chainring is not quite true to the BB. I love the Bendix 2-speed - locks the rear wheel without difficulty, shifts every time, and is very quiet.

Two big items I'm not staisfied with:
  1. It's geared REALLY short - needs a bigger chainring since I can't change the teeth on the rear hub. This will be difficult to find for a cottered crank... I've been trying to avoid updating the BB, but I don't see another option.
  2. I think the handlebars look cool but they are difficult to ride with. My knees are inside my forearms while pedaling, so pedaling while turning is out of the question. It's a relatively small frame, and I'm a relatively big guy, so I'm not sure what to do about this. Layback seatpost, long extension stem, and straight or just slightly swept back handlebars are about the best options I've come up with.

Still lots to do, like paint and a few theme elements I've got planned. I'm out of town for half the remaining time 'till the deadline, so we'll see how much I can get done by 8/1!

Hey Viscount,

It's looking good. It's got a good stance.
I know what you mean a cramped position :lol:
It's a very compact frame.

I vote for sweptback bars.
You've got the cool-angled stem so you might be able to make a good match.
I like these Velo Orange bars or the '64 Western Flyer bars.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40277&p=392426&hilit=velo+orange#p392426
They both sweep back at a certain angle that might match your style of stem.
Just my $.02. :)

The seat really matches the rest frame patina.

I'm jealous of the 2 speed kickback. Hope you find some gearing solution.
Since Hercules was bought by Raleigh, it has those cranks (as you know from the pins and the smooth operation).
Maybe you can find a Raleigh 10 speed chain ring that's a little bigger.

Good Luck

Thanks for the thoughts guys! As usual, you steered me in a positive direction.

You know, I swear that when I started this build, I looked for cottered cranks, just to get an idea how common they are. I sure don't remember seeing any then, but I've found a bunch since. Got a good line on a 40/52T set that should work well. The current gearing is 46/18, so going up to 52 should help out alot. 3/32" width shouldn't make a lick of difference... 8)

As far as bars, I'm gonna try to "adjust" a different set that I have... MplsCoaster, I really like the WF bars that you linked to but I wanna try to tweak my own set in their image.

Scheduling is going to be rough, and I may not get this finished by the dealine but I *will* get it finished this summer. :)

Re: The Viscount of Waltanna

Three-Wire said:
Bendix said:
not gonna paint it green, are ya?

:mrgreen:

:eek: Who told you??!?!? Spies amongst us, I tell you... :? Trust no one! :wink: 8) :D

Bendix said:
btw, what's that last word on the seat tube decal?

"BONDERIZED"

whatever that means...
EDIT:
It's evidently some sort of phosphate/chromate conversion coating process. Guess I'll do the paint stripping outside on this one...

Bonderized, James Bonderized.

I am digging you English city bike rat build. I love your frame.

That's some heavy duty gearing.
Go Fast!

Have fun cutting up some bars.
I sure did.
Can't wait to see them and the super secret paint scheme

MplsCoaster said:
That's some heavy duty gearing.
Go Fast!

It sounds like it'd geared too tall, but remember the Bendix hub is 0.67:1 and 1:1.

Right now, low gear is roughly equivalent to 31/18. With the new sprocket, low gear will be about 35/18 and I'll have 52/18 to cover ground on those long flat Kansas rides...

Back