***The Viscount*** - It's rolling...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three-Wire said:
MplsCoaster said:
That's some heavy duty gearing.
Go Fast!

It sounds like it'd geared too tall, but remember the Bendix hub is 0.67:1 and 1:1.

Right now, low gear is roughly equivalent to 31/18. With the new sprocket, low gear will be about 35/18 and I'll have 52/18 to cover ground on those long flat Kansas rides...

5 days go by and I already forgot about the Bendix 2 speed. :oops:
The gearing sounds optimal.

Do you know how much your bike weighs now?

I'm going to try a 44/13 on a 28 lbs bike (temporarily). I hope it doesn't hurt too much :lol:

Well, this is what I was afraid of. This bike will not be finished before the deadline... I just ran out of time - where did the summer go?!? There will be a completion thread for this bike sometime in the fall when I can get back to it. I have all the necessary supplies and equipment to complete the build and I really like the way it's riding right now, so it will get finished.

MplsCoaster: My fish scale's batteries are DOA, so I'll have to get the final weight when I can pick up some new batteries. It feels pretty light compared to my other cruisers, but I'm not sure how much they weigh, either!

Here it is as it sits today. The handlebars used to be straight-backs, basically two 90* bends on each side. I'm not convinced about the look, but they are definately comfortable to ride with. Finally got my pedals in and got hold of a different set of cottered cranks off a Japanese 10-speed. The cotters need a little more work to be perfect in these cranks but the gearing is just right. 8) The layback seatpost and shim put the seat in a better position for me, but they are bit loose even when clamped as tight as possible so the seat slipped down while I was riding it before these photos.

P7203795.jpg

P7203792.jpg

P7203791.jpg

P7203793.jpg

P7203794.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments! I've really enjoyed following all the builds and am amazed by the creativity and capability the members of this board have shown. Good luck to everyone else!

Hey Three wire,

It's looking good!
Glad to here the gearing is what you wanted. :D
That's always an important point for me.

If it's riding and together hit "done"
You can always do more and show progress on the build forum later.
That's just my $.02

Good Luck

Back