The Tow Vehicle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine gave me a Kent Co-Pilot tag-a-long bike last year. My four year old is short but by summertime he should fit perfect. The tow vehicle will be my Schwinn HD. For paint I would like to do something that I read about on here but have not been able to find again. I want to paint it silver for a base coat and then spray over that with Krylon Glitter Green, then clearcoat over that. This is what I plan on painting the Schwinn and the Co-Pilot. I want to run 26x3 Kenda's if they fit because they make a 20x3 that should fit the Co-Pilot. I plan on running chrome, wheels, cranks and bars. I'm going to run Apes on the Schwinn and the the Co-Pilot is getting a set of junior apes that came on a Worksman women's industrial bike that I picked up.

Here is the Schwinn stripped and sanded down a little
SchwinnSide1.jpg

Here's the other side
SchwinnSide2.jpg

Here is the Co-Pilot with the junior apes on it. I still might cut them down some.
Tag-a-long2.jpg

Tag-a-long3.jpg

I am starting back on this project again. For some reason I found the need to build up my girls Worksman instead of this one.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14101&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
I have to get this one done before the 4th of July. We are going to Florida on vacation and this is one of the bikes that I'm taking. The whole silver with green flake scheme did not work, so I'm going with Krylon flat blue. I picked up some solid red tires at Island Bicycle Company down in Galveston today as well as some chrome, really wide cruiser bars. I am building the Kent Co-Pilot to match. I will add some progress pics as it comes along.

No brakes for the little one, he has a freewheel on the Co-Pilot. He's 4 soon to be 5 and is short for his age. I did a little mock up today to see what the cruiser bars look like on the Co-Pilot instead of the mini apes. I like the way it looks, so I am ready to start stripping it down and getting it ready to paint. The Schwinn is already in the process of being stripped.
DSCF4426.jpg

DSCF4427.jpg

The color I am painting the Co-Pilot and the bike is House of Krylon satin finish "Oxford Blue" here is a shot of the chainguard. I painted it to test and see if I like the color.
DSCF4424.jpg

I will be running solid red tires on both as well. I haven't picked up my 20" tire, but here is a shot of the tires for the Schwinn.
DSCF4423.jpg

DSCF4425.jpg

OK so I've stripped painted and started putting it back together. I still haven't got an adapter to make the tag-a-long fit on my seatpost, but that shouldn't be hard to work out. It was designed for a much bigger post. The color is Krylon Oxford Blue Satin finish. I still haven't found a seat that I like yet but when I do I'll have to buy two, I want them to match. They will both be running the wide bars and sparkle grips.
DSCF4894.jpg

DSCF4889.jpg

DSCF4899.jpg

DSCF4901.jpg

DSCF4907.jpg

OK so I got most of the Schwinn HD together. I have the cranks, I just haven't put them on yet. This one actually turned out a lot better than I expected. I really like the stance and colors. This bike is surprisingly light. It is a Schwinn HD and is probably my lightest fat tire bike that I have. Hopefully I will have the Co-Pilot together over this next weekend. Between swim lessons for our four year old, litttle league baseball for all three boys and a daughter that's graduating from high school, it's been hard finding extra time.
DSCF4927.jpg

DSCF4929.jpg

DSCF4932.jpg

familytruxster said:
OK so I got most of the Schwinn HD together. I have the cranks, I just haven't put them on yet. This one actually turned out a lot better than I expected. I really like the stance and colors. This bike is surprisingly light. It is a Schwinn HD and is probably my lightest fat tire bike that I have. Hopefully I will have the Co-Pilot together over this next weekend. Between swim lessons for our four year old, litttle league baseball for all three boys and a daughter that's graduating from high school, it's been hard finding extra time.
DSCF4927.jpg

DSCF4929.jpg

DSCF4932.jpg
You sound like me, with extra kids ,as I have two, but being a youth pastor seems like more. And you can actually see your garage walls :shock:

What you can't see is my storage building in the backyard that you can't walk in becuase of bicycle frames hanging from all of the rafters :lol: . Sometimes it's a task to get the moxer and yard stuff out. I try to keep the garage clean because that's actually another room of our house. It is a workout room, extra living room, bicycle shop, utility room and whatever we need it for.

OK hopefully it won't rain tomorrow and I can get some pictures. Me and my four year old, Bodie, took it out for a test ride about 10:00 p.m. tonight. It rides sweet and he was diggin' it, but the Schwinn has something popping in the bottom bracket. It's probably the crappy bearing that I robbed from a bike that was submerged after Ike last year. Luckily I have a couple of others I can pull from. I haven't got the chain on the Co-Pilot yet but Bodie can barely reach the pedals at the bottom anyway. I still need to pick up some hardware for the chainguards. Here are some shots. LIke I said I will get some better ones outside tomorrow.
DSCF4986.jpg

DSCF4988.jpg

DSCF4989.jpg

DSCF4991.jpg

It's not finished, I just had to get it together to see if Bodie would even be able to ride it. I still need to get some grips, chain, seat (the seat on it is from one of our other boy's bike) and I am going to run some red pinstripe decals somewhere on it.

Love it... Love it... Love it... Your little guy will look back when he's older and realise how cool he, and his old man were/are - LOL

Back