The Swing Thing (updated 8/11)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I was going to wait until I got more parts together to start a build thread, but I got the frame today and I'm just to excited to wait. After seeing bikebuilders swingbike "Orange Krate" build I knew I had to have one viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13195 . Once I contacted bikebuilder we started discussing what I was looking for. My frame has most of the changes that his Orange Krate did with a few more thrown in. If anyone wants a swingbike I highly recommend sending bikebuilder a pm. It was really fun to be involved in the design, and the final product is way more than I expected!

Most of the pictures below are ones that Brent sent me as the build progressed

This is pretty much how the bike started.
bikepics.jpg

The rear triangle was cut apart for the modifications.
rearcutup.jpg

The rear forks were switched to face the opposite direction and this shows were the new braces will go. Tabs were also added so a chainguard could be used.
reartemplate1.jpg

reartemplate2.jpg

A mockup with the new rear braces welded in place.
rearmockup.jpg

Another mockup with reinforcement gussets on the top tubes. We kept the lock but removed the spring because it isn't really necessary. The top bars are extended but I can't remember exactly how far (bikebuikder?) The wheelie bar wasn't for me, but it sure looks cool!
mockup3.jpg

And finally some pictures of the finished frame, with the gussets drilled.
frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

Like I said before I am still collecting parts for this bike, but here are some of the things I have so far.

I got this Western Flyer x-53 fork from Uncle Stretch. He was even cool enough to trade me some artwork for it!
mockup.jpg

Some photoshop magic to show what it will look like with the fender trimmed off. I might leave enough of a lip so that I can mount a light on it.
mockup2.jpg

I have a five speed-disc brake hub that I got from Hooch that I need to lace to a rim. I plan on running whitewalls and this is the rear 20x2.125.
tire.jpg

Here is the repop model-A taillight I plan on using and the awesome bracket bikebuilder made to mount it under a banana seat.
taillight.jpg

bracket.jpg

I was orignally planning on painting flat black, but I think I want to do something a little different than that. I have also considered just clear coating the bare metal because it looks so great as it is. Another idea was to do a weathered kind of look. Here is a test of what I might do that I did on chainguard that was already stripped down to bare metal. This is a little overdone, but I was just figuring out how to do it.
guard1.jpg

guard2.jpg

For the shifter I might go with a modified Schwinn lightweight shifter (like the one below) mounted on the rear fork under the seat to switch the gears.
aa6b_1.jpg

Re: The Swing Thing

Man they look so weird with nothing in the middle. Looks good glad your on your way to your dream machine. Getting towards spring and you can hear them rattle cans shaking. :lol:

I am glad to see the tail light bracket fit. Did you have to cut the back of the light at all where the wires come out? The shifter in the back is an interesting idea. I think it will be neat.

Uncle Stretch- They do look different without anything in the middle, but that's why I like them.

bikebuilder- I pulled the light bulb sockets out and had to bend the metal back a little bit with some pliers to make it sit flush. It was super easy and it fits perfectly. I hope the shifter idea works how I want it to and I have a good idea for a custom shifter knob.

I haven't made much project on the build due to lack of time, but I've been thinking about trying something different for a headlight. I was searching random stuff on ebay and found this old electrical insulator and thought it might make a cool light. I never seen one used as a light before (doesn't mean it hasn't been done). I think there is a lot of possibilities because they come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. In fact they might look pretty cool on some of the bikes in the space bike build off. I also found a 9 bulb led light on ebay for two bucks and it fit perfectly in the hole where a wooden post would have gone. I had to grind the housing on the light down a bit, but it fits super snug now and I don't think I could get it out with ruining the light. Now I just need to figure out how to mount it.

(the wire was there to hold in place while trying to find a place to mount it)
lite1.jpg

It doesn't make a super strong beam but it is actually quite bright.
lite2.jpg

This is where I'll probably end up mounting it.
lite3.jpg

If I wasn't going to trim this part off it might be cool here too.
lite4.jpg

The sides look pretty straight ...You might could find a veggie can or something metal around ,to slide it into that would finish off the back and give you something to pop rivet a bracket to.

I am wondering if it would fit between the forks underneath the springs. It might be neat above the stem as well. Right now my vote is for above the springs and under the stem.

Uncle Stretch- I thought about that too, I just need to find something that fits tight. The sides are pretty straight but the bottom isn't quite round. Maybe a metal strap where the wire is might work too, and then find something that fits inside of the back to finish it off.

Bikebuilder- I never thought about below the springer, there is definitely room. I also like the idea above the stem but I'll have to wait until I get bars to see how it looks. I also kind of like it on the little fender in the below picture.

Minor update- I got my wheels and the front tire yesterday, and what a difference it makes! I really like the combo of whitewalls on black rims. In the picture it looks like the rear tire has two valves because the wheel with the whitewall on doesn't have spokes and the other wheel is holding it in place for the picture :lol: . Also you can see where the shifter is going to go under the seat.

I keep going back and forth on color so I thought I'd see what everyone else thinks. I still might do it like the chainguard posted above. I'm also thinking that either sage green with pinstripes or ivory with pinstripes might look good. I'm sure I'll change my mind a hundred times before it stops raining long enough for me to paint it.

wwmockup.jpg

best looking swingbike ive ever seen. but i really dont like that fork, id be happy to take it off your hands :).

great idea for the headlight, ive got a few of those things- they would be the last thing i would ever think about for a headlight!

Got some parts in and it's finally starting to look like a bike. You know you're building a custom when none of the parts fit on their own :lol: . I still need to do a lot of cutting, grinding, and drilling to get everything to fit. I hope to lace the rear wheel this weekend so I can get a better idea of the stance. The bottom bracket is at a weird angle because the rear wheel holding it up is flat and is mounted on the outside of the rear forks.

mockup4.jpg

I like the ratty blue chainguard. If you could make the bike match...I think it would look nice with the white walls and chrome. I don't know.. shiny might be okay too.

I built my first wheel today!!! I had a shop measure the spoke length for me. Then I read Hugo's great write up in the how to section a couple of times and watched this youtube series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTb3x5VO69Y. It was way easier than I thought it was going to be, and I think pretty much anyone can do it. Truing was an interesting process but once I figured it out it was just a matter of time and patience. It might not be perfect but I'm positive it is truer than any of the wheels on my other bikes :lol: .

whitewall1.jpg

whitewall2.jpg

I had a little spare time last night and I got the the taillight mounted to the seat. I was a little nervous at first because I had to take the vinyl off the back half of the seat to drill the holes for the bracket. Luckily with a little bit of tugging it went back together and looks just as good as before.

taillight2.jpg

taillight1.jpg

Back