the stretch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

i started a new project a week ago :D
i always wanted a long bike to cruise on but they are not realy cheap
so i am making one myself, this could be a long project because i dont have much money to spend(i am only 14)
i want something in this style with the springer fork and candy paint
GreenVortex6kleinformaatHDR.jpg

and here is the progess i made so far
2009_0808fotos0249.jpg

2009_0808fotos0250.jpg

2009_0813fotos0251.jpg

2009_0813fotos0252.jpg

and some bad welds :D
2009_0813fotos0253.jpg

2009_0813fotos0254.jpg

hope you like it

micheal

Cool! Good luck, stretches are loads of fun. And the welds can be cleaned up without body filler if you don't mind lots of grinding, re-welding, and hand filing.

1ymk2g.jpg

4sgw0m.jpg

thx for the comments

i am looking for a cheap springer fork
suusbikeshop has them for 65 euro(about 90dollar)
but i have a budget of 100 euro :D and i also need some tires and paint

brutus said:
nice project.

you can also look at http://www.apartefietsen.nl for that springer vork.

where are you from in the netherlands. i'm from around eindhoven.

maby i can help if you need some.

this is my project.

214.jpg

i live in meppel(drenthe)
that is around 170 km away from you :D
so i think that is a litle to far for me but thx for the help
i asked all bike shops near me for that fork but no one has them
and for the tires i am thinking of the schwalbe fat franks or the electra whitewalls :? .

micheal

I know how you feel about funds, I am 15 and it is hard to fix a bike the way you want to :p

but you are doing great heck I cant even weld :mrgreen:

i did a litle proges on the bike
i found a donor batavus beach cruiser for the wheels
and i fixed the welds and started filling and sanding
here some pics
2009_0918fotos0272.jpg

2009_0918fotos0268.jpg

2009_0918fotos0269.jpg

2009_0918fotos0270.jpg

2009_0918fotos0271.jpg

now i need some money to buy the other parts :cry:

I give you Props little brother for even trying at your age to take on such a big project. My father was a construction worker when I was a kid and he also had worked as a mechanic. When I was old enough to understand he started teaching me how to turn a wrench and how to build stuff. I'm 41 now and some would say I'm a master fabricator. All I can say is keep at it! Welding is an art that takes years of practice to fully master, so your welds will only improve with time.

OK so your 14, you've gotten a really nice start. But don't stop there, your passion could very easily become a career. My advice is never stop learning both from books and DVD's but also from your mistakes. Your going to have mistakes and failures, whatever you do, don't let them discourage you! Everything in life is a learning process. A lot of people are impressed with my work but practice makes perfect. I've build over 60 complete chopper motorcycles as well as about 30 bicycles. By now they had better look good or I'm in the wrong business. :oops:

Good idea #1 is get yourself a note book and start a journal. Put all your sketches and ideas on bike designs in it. Don't worry about your drawing skills cause your the only one who will ever see it, except maybe your kids but that will be many years from now, :D Also write down your notes on how certain ideas and design performed, how they rode, was it hard to pedal that kind of thing. Over time you might be impressed with yourself on how your skills have improved both with drawing and with your design awareness. Most top motorcycle and car designers didn't just go to school and came out pros. They started the same way you are!

So I say good luck and keep trying new things and new ideas.

Later Travis

IronSpadeCycles said:
I give you Props little brother for even trying at your age to take on such a big project. My father was a construction worker when I was a kid and he also had worked as a mechanic. When I was old enough to understand he started teaching me how to turn a wrench and how to build stuff. I'm 41 now and some would say I'm a master fabricator. All I can say is keep at it! Welding is an art that takes years of practice to fully master, so your welds will only improve with time.

OK so your 14, you've gotten a really nice start. But don't stop there, your passion could very easily become a career. My advice is never stop learning both from books and DVD's but also from your mistakes. Your going to have mistakes and failures, whatever you do, don't let them discourage you! Everything in life is a learning process. A lot of people are impressed with my work but practice makes perfect. I've build over 60 complete chopper motorcycles as well as about 30 bicycles. By now they had better look good or I'm in the wrong business. :oops:

Good idea #1 is get yourself a note book and start a journal. Put all your sketches and ideas on bike designs in it. Don't worry about your drawing skills cause your the only one who will ever see it, except maybe your kids but that will be many years from now, :D Also write down your notes on how certain ideas and design performed, how they rode, was it hard to pedal that kind of thing. Over time you might be impressed with yourself on how your skills have improved both with drawing and with your design awareness. Most top motorcycle and car designers didn't just go to school and came out pros. They started the same way you are!

So I say good luck and keep trying new things and new ideas.

Later Travis

i realy like building bikes and other stuff
i am learning for car mechanic(but with all that electric,plastic cars i want to change it to metal fabricator)
i dont have much room to work or have good tools
but i am sure i dont stop with making things :D

micheal

+1 to what Travis said very very very wise words...I was fortunate enough to have grown up in a house
with a fully equipped workshop myself and started young like you, im 40 now and still learn new things you
never stop learning, keep up the excellent work, start collecting tools now as you can afford them
buy the best you can afford tools will last you a lifetime.

Shall continue to follw with interest.

KiM

P.S To the person from Eindhoven...my ex-wife is from there Dutch chickie babes are the bomb hehehe

here a litle update
i made the bike rolling so i can test it a litle bit, and i started making a gear shifter :D
here some pics
2009_0921fotos0273.jpg

2009_0921fotos0275.jpg

2009_0921fotos0274.jpg

i have to weld some things again and than i can start filling and sanding

micheal

today i did some work on the fork
the tube were the steer is inside was to wide so i cutted it of and welded the original on it
i have to make it smooth and then i ask a expert if its strong enough
2009_0922fotos0276.jpg

2009_0922fotos0277.jpg

2009_0922fotos0278.jpg

2009_0922fotos0279.jpg

my welds are getting a litle bit nicer everytime :D

micheal

i did some work on the bike again
its almost finished(only needs a gear and break cable)
but i got the bike for sale till i got some money for parts :oops:
here some pics
2009_1003fotos0287.jpg

2009_1003fotos0288.jpg

2009_1003fotos0289.jpg

2009_1003fotos0290.jpg

2009_1003fotos0291.jpg

2009_1003fotos0292.jpg

hope you like it
and comments are welcome :D

micheal

Back