The smallest part?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to thinking (dangerous at times, yes) about how inspiration for a custom bike can come from many places. Sometimes it's a rusted out hulk that has potential, or a brand new bike that you look at and know just how to make it better. Other times it starts as an idea or concept - you dream up a cool ride and start finding/buying/trading/collecting the parts to build it.

And then there are those times when it's just one little bike part that triggers the whole thing and you just have to build it.

Which leads me to wonder, what's the smallest part bike part that has lead you to building a whole bike around it?

A hub?
A seat?
A set of cranks?
A set of grips?
or ????

For me, it's a set of old motorcycle MX bars. Those MX bars have me slowly gathering parts to build a klunker. Note that when I started, I didn't have any of the other parts I would need to do this :roll: It's ridiculous I know, but I'm building a klunker one bit at a time because I took a look at those bars and thought "I know just what to do with these!"

Anyone else have this happen to them?

-Mp

I saw a seat with a Spider on a web design. On the back of the spider is an iron cross. I fell in love with it but couldn't afford it. Last Xmas my brother inlaw and sister inlaw gave it to me. Since receiving the seat, I have aquired a spider web sprocket and a couple of other items for my build. Hopefully it will be an early spring project.

My first RatRod build off was inspired by a circle saw blade! :mrgreen:

This reminds me of a contest they had at our local bike club. How many parts are in a bicycle? They were counting every little bit, 6 or 7 parts in the valve core and over 300 in the chain, ball bearings, 72 nipples, etc.

Back