the sad terrible time has come

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both are very cool cars in their own way. I know a lot of diehard people are against them, but I would recommend that you open your scope to the japanese market. Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Scion etc. There are lots of possibilities here with much higher reliability and lower costs. Do yourself a favor and go pick up a copy of the April edition of Consumer Reports Car magazine. Lots of good info to start with.

A couple cars I would recommend for first vehicles would include:
Any of the Scions (Xb is my fav) new or used, both are reasonably priced
Toyota Matrix (Potiac Vibe) - not my first pick, but you get toyota reliability, without buying an ugly corolla.
Subaru impreza WRX 2002ish - All wheel drive with plenty of power - good aftermarket support, but still unique
Honda Civic Si - I prefer the Body style of 2000, but anything newer is nice too ( I know some people think this car is overdone, but there is a reason for that. It is a good car)
Acura RSX - the Civic's big brother. A little bit pricier, but you might be able to find a deal.
Mazda Protoge 5 or Mazda 3 - some ford guts, but have shown overall reliability to be very good - Also very fun to drive

my two cents. I spend a lot of time researching this stuff.
I guess a major factor is you price point. any idea on how much you want to spend? In the next 5 years do you want to buy five $1,500 cars or one $7,000 car?

GTCOMA said:
I would recommend that you open your scope to the japanese market. Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Scion etc.
well.....the ones you just listed are actually assembled here in the u.s. :shock:
and all our so called american cars are made in canada and mexico now :shock:
(just a side note.....i have nothing against german cars,japanese cars,or american cars. if it can go fast i like it :wink: )

sensor said:
GTCOMA said:
I would recommend that you open your scope to the japanese market. Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Scion etc.
well.....the ones you just listed are actually assembled here in the u.s. :shock:
and all our so called american cars are made in canada and mexico now :shock:
(just a side note.....i have nothing against german cars,japanese cars,or american cars. if it can go fast i like it :wink: )

true... but i think regardless of where they are assembled, any true redneck is gonna call a Honda a Japanese car. Personally i could care less where they are built as long as they are built well.

you want me to drive a rice burner?
no way man
fart cans are the devil
as for now
anything under two grand is fine with me
and yes i no the purple m3 is at least 30g
and as for the old chrys;ers
those fellas are gettin awful pricy and hard to find there won selves

BMW.....Moparmayhem, You've crossed over!!!!!

Why BMW??? Ya thier a luxery car.......But my poor little 318poly ate one alive :mrgreen:

Ok here is my BMW story,I took in a trade on a really clean 80 733 silver black leather beautiful on a 71 camaro basket case I had my doubts at first but since it was so clean I did it.....finally get it in my name and start driving it two weeks later it starts running rough turns out I broke a valve spring,so I pulled the head just to check everything out replaced all the valve springs and then I looked at the cam and the followers....so basicly after spending $2.000 just on parts with a discount (at the time I worked at an automotive machine shop) so labor was free get it back on the road ,another two weeks and then I started having electrical problems.Lost a lot of money on that car,heres the clincher the vanity plate the car came with said TIPJAR.

You should talk to Ratrod about changing your name to BMWmayhem :mrgreen:

Back