the red baron

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is one sick looking build. now for the forks, what kind? i think if you have a "scratched" chrome look it will match the chainguard. other than that go with the yellow, or try to match with the rocket on the side of the tank. I am jealous!! i always wanted a western flyer!! that thing is COOL, as school.

ok guys my worst have manifested them, well maybe not my worst but they are fears of mine.

the fork i got is for a female frame thus a longer headtube
problem.jpg

i think with the power of our minds combined we can fix this problem, any idea?

i'm thinking something that can be stuck between the top dust cap and the bearings to fill the gap...any ideas??

these forks really are awesome but they weigh a ton, i give you guys pics but i need to find batteries for the camera

measure the distance that the lock nut spacer bearings and cup will be and then measure again cut it to the length you need and your lbs should be able to thread it for you(call and ask first and make sure you bring the nut when they thread it so itll be the right pitch)

man i tell ya what, if that bad boy was mine, i would leave that frame alone and put about 8 coats of clear and hand rub it till it has so much depth in it, that would be killer. put some kool stuff on it and ya got yourself a bad boy rat. ya thats what i am talkin about.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

i would paint it :D but id leave the tank and guard alone, just my opinion

i agree with Sensor on the forks cut/rethread = good to go, tho you might need to mucle those truss rods to fit, i think one of carolina rats bikes has had the truss rods "modified" to fit. i think ACDs rrbbo2 "escpaed convict" bike did too

I sort of agree with CCR. Maybe everything but the tank to kind of throw it off, but, this is a sweet bike that deserves a complete restoration.

Take the forks to the schwinn shop there in gainesvelle and them to rethread them then cut it after its rethreaded o.k. if not you might screw it up g/l Tony 8)

tnt1 said:
Take the forks to the schwinn shop there in gainesvelle and them to rethread them then cut it after its rethreaded o.k. if not you might screw it up g/l Tony 8)

yea unfortunately they apparently closed shop :( i took it to Recycle Bicycles here in town they said the should be able to do the trick, i find out tomorrow *crosses fingers*

Wow, that's one imposing looking beast of a frame! I agree with the mob, don't paint it. I wouldn't even put clear coat on it. That's my philosiphy on stuff like this, if unsure, leave it alone.

I was able to resist the urge to paint stuff when I got into bikes and am I GLAD now. I figure, paint newer stuff and get good at it first. You can't really beat original paint anyway.

skoda said:
Wow, that's one imposing looking beast of a frame! I agree with the mob, don't paint it. I wouldn't even put clear coat on it. That's my philosiphy on stuff like this, if unsure, leave it alone.

I was able to resist the urge to paint stuff when I got into bikes and am I GLAD now. I figure, paint newer stuff and get good at it first. You can't really beat original paint anyway.

your right, i'm gonna have to paint the fork though, because baby blue just doesnt tie in well with the other colors, i think i have settles on a color scheme of red, black, and green

tnt1 said:
Hey the schwinn shop moved on the east side of town g/l Tony 8)
haha they are moving everywhere! they went from 13th st to 6th st and now they are on the NE!? hmmm you dont by any chance have the number? i looked in the yellow pages and called and the voice on the other end said it was disconnected :?: :? :?:

well it looks like im not getting my fork till monday :( but i can be patient.

I did score a set of fenders for the bike off of the ebay
c14a_1.JPG

the light is just a case, the inards are no longer in it apparently, maybe i'll be able to convert it to LED

nice fenders, and your better off the light guts had been removed, probly shot it in the first place. an LED sounds good tho :)

Back