The Raleigh

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, it's my first build off, so I might as well start with my first dumpster bike. It's an early-mid '70s Raleigh Sport. As you can see, it looks pretty rough; however the wheels spin and even seem pretty straight.

I haven't decided which way I'm going to go with this yet, and won't really be able to work on it much for a couple of weeks, but here are the before pics...

raleigh1.jpg

ralieghdown.jpg

raleighhead.jpg

Are you related to ej599?.........He "dives" for Raleighs.........A LOT!
Good Luck! 8)

There's a lot of potential there. You can probably get the exact year from the rear hub.

I'm cancelling this build (at least for this build off). I was out for a walk with my wife the other day, and ran into a friend of mine from the Spokesmen who lives a few blocks away. He offered to sell me a cool old cruiser (which is gonna make a great rat rod) for $25. I decided to take him up on the offer. That's not what this post is about, however.

He knew I had the old Raleigh and was looking for parts, and said he'd sell me a 1955 English Hiawatha for $5.

hiawathabeforeb.jpg

hiawathabefore1.jpg

As you can tell, this thing is just way too good to plunder for parts. Heck, the paint's even shiny! So, instead of building the Raleigh (which may still eventually get built) I'm going to turn this into a mild custom for my wife.

I haven't decided if I'm going to enter it into the build off, but I'll make sure that I post the results on the board. And pretty soon, there'll be a thread on that other bike I bought at the same time; it's going to be a doozy.

ej599 said:
Do I smell rusting Nottingham steel with a dash of dumpster juice?

dude, you do know your raleighs :mrgreen:

And when your're done your wife and you will have some cool English bikes to cruise on!

Latest posts

Back