The Prowler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dupli-Color ECS101007 chrome instant enamel spray sells at Walmart along with model CS101 chrome which I'm not familiar with. These paints work best on a glossy black base coat. Dupli-Color turns silver under clear coat unfortunately.

Dupli-Color ECS101007 chrome instant enamel spray sells at Walmart along with model CS101 chrome which I'm not familiar with. These paints work best on a glossy black base coat. Dupli-Color turns silver under clear coat unfortunately.
Turns out both of those Dupli-Color chrome paints are the same, one's just older. Got a can of it, plus some Rustoleum chrome since I saw it at the same store.

Tested out 2 different chrome spray paints earlier today: one from Dupli-color, one from Rustoleum. I applied a gloss black base coat over 2 white plastic spoons, then let that dry. I then applied a coat of each chrome paint to 2 spoons each, one with the black base coat, and one without. The Dupli-color orange-peeled almost instantly, while the Rustoleum came out smoother and clearer. I need to practice a little more, and probably check out a few other paints, but I think the Rustoleum chrome will work in a pinch if need be.
20211227_170222.jpg
20211227_170235.jpg
20211227_170243.jpg
20211227_170334.jpg
20211227_170340.jpg

My first bike was a Columbia ballooner of unknown age in the early 60's. On that bike the front axle was 1/4", not 5/16" and there were no lock nuts on the cones. One day while delivering newspapers that front wheel locked up because one axle nut had come loose. I took the bike to a bike shop and they replaced the broken axle and when I got it back it still did not have lock nuts. That is how they made them I guess. You are totally dependent on those axle nuts staying tight.

My first bike was a Columbia ballooner of unknown age in the early 60's. On that bike the front axle was 1/4", not 5/16" and there were no lock nuts on the cones. One day while delivering newspapers that front wheel locked up because one axle nut had come loose. I took the bike to a bike shop and they replaced the broken axle and when I got it back it still did not have lock nuts. That is how they made them I guess. You are totally dependent on those axle nuts staying tight.
I guess I'll need to find some lock nuts then. Thanks for the tip!

Sorry for the radio silence. Between the colder weather and some other stuff, I haven't had the opportunity to make any progress on my bikes as of late. I do have one small update that I meant to post almost a month ago, but I just never got around to it until now.

I applied a clear coat over 2 of the spoons I painted chrome. The clear coat dulled the effect on the Rustoleum chrome, but it turned the Dupli-Color chrome to a less-than-attractive metallic silver. So it looks like Rustoleum is the winner out of these 2. I know there are some other chrome paints out there I haven't tried yet though, so I'll probably want to test those out before I commit to anything yet. That'll most likely have to wait until the weather warms up again though.

BftD_murray_muscle_bike_gloss_chrome_1.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_gloss_chrome_2.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_gloss_chrome_3.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_gloss_chrome_4.jpg

That's all the progress I have to report for now. Hopefully the weather will warm up long enough for me to make some real progress soon, but I'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe more sanding between coats? That's is a little disappointing, "dull chrome... and metallic silver" really don't cut it, especially when compared to the lid.
Well, that was after applying a clear coat. If you look at each spoon on the right, those are what the paints look like without clear. Still, it is disappointing how these chrome paints never look even half as good as the lids.

Well, that was after applying a clear coat. If you look at each spoon on the right, those are what the paints look like without clear. Still, it is disappointing how these chrome paints never look even half as good as the lids.
With 3 coats of Duplicolor 1K clear extreme gloss sprayed over top 30 minutes of the last color coat, I have gotten good results.

Black chrome looks better than the cap here.
20220128_125106.jpg

Have you tried that with the Rustoleum silver chrome?

With 3 coats of Duplicolor 1K clear extreme gloss sprayed over top 30 minutes of the last color coat, I have gotten good results.

Black chrome looks better than the cap here.
View attachment 184667
Maybe it's just how it looks in this photo, but I don't really see the "chrome" here. It just looks like dark metallic silver paint. Looks great, but I fail to see the chrome effect.

Have you tried that with the Rustoleum silver chrome?
No, not yet. I still need to look at some other stores to see what other chrome paint there is, but it's been kind of hard to justify getting more paint when the weather's usually too cold to test it out. We are getting some warm weather here over the weekend, so maybe I could shop around and see what's available.

Back