The Powerheavy, or the Homebrew

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I had hoped to work on it a ton this weekend but am just getting to it now. Lots of homework and a new bass guitar have been distracting me (it was mostly the homework though, I swear).

Time to chop some fenders. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

MIG fillet

Thanks for the comments/support.

Not much progress, and it looks way better in person than through the crappy pics, but I started to clean up my welds. I have been slow to get back to work on this one because I was dreading the clean up work, but I was in the right frame of mind today so I did quite a bit.

I always liked the fluted Schwinn joints, but I don't have fluted tubing and I don't really have the capability or desire to do brass fillet. I'd like to leave my welds as they are, but they are a little sloppy and that just won't do. So I started laying down lots of weld and carefully grinding it off to imitate the fluted joint look. I'm pretty happy with it. As you see them, they have not been touched up with a file. That's the result of an angle grinder only. I feel confident that by the time I hand file them, there shouldn't be any need for bondo. I think some good primer will do the trick.

Anyway, a few pics.

mwsigl.jpg

67ipus.jpg

nna1id.jpg

qx8nco.jpg

2rr3qj6.jpg

Also got my Maxxis tires mounted on the single speed rims; I love this combo.

15pqqaf.jpg

2ec0m5s.jpg

...And a super heavy bike deserves a super heavy chain. I placed it next to a regular old KMC chain for comparison sake, in the last pic.

etgtwx.jpg

w7zpxz.jpg

Hmmm.. What are the specs on that chain? I should really use something like that on mine.. (yeah I know.. stealing your ideas already :) )

AKB said:
Hmmm.. What are the specs on that chain? I should really use something like that on mine.. (yeah I know.. stealing your ideas already :) )

I'm honored. :mrgreen: Unfortunately, I don't know. I got this chain with some other parts in a trade. It was from a motorized bicycle kit, I think.

I recommend using an older full thickness hub cog, if you're not already. You might have to grind a little to get the ring to seat properly on more recent wheels. :|

deorman said:
I recommend using an older full thickness hub cog, if you're not already. You might have to grind a little to get the ring to seat properly on more recent wheels. :|

That sounds like a decent idea. I'll have to see what I have.

Back