The Orange Drag Krate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up everyone? Well with my Iver Johnson track bike on the road and riding, I decided to get my next project down from its hanging centerpiece display spot above my window in my garage. I bought this project about 3 years ago when I was a senior in high school not having a clue what I was getting into. I found it on good ol ebay with 2 really blurry pictures of a pile of rusty parts and a description that only said "Schwinn Orange Stingray, rusty. Sold as is." I spotted a orange frame, chainguard, rusty fenders, handlebars, rims, and the mag sprocket and that was all. I knew it was a krate, and bought it for a great deal. I was nervious, especially when I recieved the package. The box was a destroyed vacume box with rusty bicycle spokes poking out all of the corners and sides. I opened it up, layed out all the parts and BAM, everything was there, it was really a real original 1972 Orange Krate!! What was even better is at the bottom of the pile laid the disk and the caliper fully in contact, score!!!! Someone left this bike sit outside (it came from the midwest I don't know where) and it must have been only ridden by a kid because of the low position of the seat post so it had no damage, only scratches and surface rust.
The odd thing about this bike is that it was fully dissassembled. I mean everything from the ball bearings being taken out of the cage to the nipples on the spokes being removed, every screw, every washer. It was all gathered up and taped and sealed up in a box, nothing missing. Crazy! I laid everything out back a long time ago and took pics with my cell phone, but it broke so they were all lost. I wanted to get this done last fall, but never got around to it, so here it is..also it is an October of '72, and thats my birthday month too! I'm also going down to Bakersfield for the "Cacklefest" my birthday weekend, so it will be my birthday present to myself, plus what better than having a drag inspired bike at such a historical track?!?! Here is the progress so far, just have to do a couple more things like hook up the cables, chain, and ride!!!! This thing has all real patina, paint, and what is left of the chrome, and its staying that way!! Enjoy :D

orangekrate002.jpg

orangekrate003.jpg

orangekrate006.jpg

I found this light for 5 bucks that was all rusted, but I need to rust that mount a little more...its a little too shiny!!

orangekrate004.jpg

orangekrate005.jpg

And what I have so far...close!!!! :)
orangekrate001.jpg

Beautiful bike! better with age, n your so right to keep it the way it is, dont touch a spek of rust on that bike =D
Thanx for showing dude!

:D

backpedaler said:
disc brake too??

Disk brake and caliper were in the box of parts too, all in rusted working order. I got the bike done about a week ago just in time for Bakersfield, and I hooked up the rusty chain I had laying around, got the brakes working, WD 40'd the derailer, and aired up the tires and went crusing around the block. It shifts better than most rode bikes and rides really smooth, just the way I built it. I wanted it to have smoothly working stock componets yet having the appearance of just being pulled out of the barn and onto the streets and strip. Enough for now, here's some pics, and more to come from this weekend :)

ssdf001.jpg

ssdf004.jpg

ssdf003.jpg

ssdf002.jpg

I love Krates, but I'm a lot more interested in that awesome-looking rod behind the bike! 8)

Your Krate is very cool! Don't change a thing about it.
Sean

sean138 said:
Your Krate is very cool! Don't change a thing about it.
Sean

While I have to agree for the most part, I'd recommend flipping the seats post clamp to lay the seat back some more. :wink:

Really, I love this thing!

ElChupacabra said:
Krates awesome.... way to go.... MORE ROD PICS!!! lol

I think that I put a shot of it on my intro when I first joined, but here is a couple more. I build them entirely in my garage on weekends, and I drive them almost daily. I built the Model A when I was a junior/senior in high school and I will continue to drive it until I die. I'm currently building a 1934 Ford roadster right now that I almost have finished, but I keep on messing around with bikes!!! The second shot of the orange "7-11 Coupe" is a good friend of mine that I'm going to go help wrench on it this weekend at Fomoso..I can't wait to take pics of the orange krate next to it!!!! Till then, I'm off tomorrow, so the next update will for sure be with some pictures in a very nice setting :D

Bonneville19.jpg

7-11coupe.jpg

awesome collection!
the "rat rod" krate
and the rat rod car!...
love it very much...

Re: The Orange Drag Krate **Updated Pics

I'm a little late on the pics from Bakersfield Hot Rod Reunion, but it was one of the best times I have ever had in the past 5 years of going!! It was pretty cool riding around with people going "Holy s*** man, I haven't seen one of those in years!!" and also lots of people giving me thumbs up was awesome too. The whole vibe with vintage dragsters, hot rods, top fuelers, and my bike was killer. It was also pretty fun when some wealthy guy with a thick gold chain approached me in his decked out golf cart and asked me what it would take to buy my bike...I told him he didn't have enough money to buy its sentimental value, and rode off with a smile...I love this bike!!! :D

In front of one of the COOOOLEST and fastest Comets there!!!!
sdfsdfafsd002.jpg

sdfsdfafsd004.jpg

sdfsdfafsd003.jpg

ZephyrSpeed said:
ElChupacabra said:
Krates awesome.... way to go.... MORE ROD PICS!!! lol

I think that I put a shot of it on my intro when I first joined, but here is a couple more. I build them entirely in my garage on weekends, and I drive them almost daily. I built the Model A when I was a junior/senior in high school and I will continue to drive it until I die. I'm currently building a 1934 Ford roadster right now that I almost have finished, but I keep on messing around with bikes!!! The second shot of the orange "7-11 Coupe" is a good friend of mine that I'm going to go help wrench on it this weekend at Fomoso..I can't wait to take pics of the orange krate next to it!!!! Till then, I'm off tomorrow, so the next update will for sure be with some pictures in a very nice setting :D

Bonneville19.jpg

7-11coupe.jpg

i know that car :) i've talked to ya once before via myspace,or the hamb that was a nice build i liked it alot and im glad it got alot of coverage b/c i like looking at it lol ! ..
nice krate im eventually going to try and find a 69 peapicker

wow man! i swear ive seen that coupe before! did you have it in the detroit autorama like 2 or 3 years ago? oh and i love the ray, its sweet. :D

Back