the OP Special-an ongoing project update 3/20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well for 79 bucks I couldn't resist and ended up buying a Ocean Pacific Cruiser from Wally World. I had one once but sold it to a friend before I could play with it much.
op1-1.jpg

I plan on mixing it with parts from these two bikes...
blackandtan.jpg

I'm thinking a fat tire 3 speed with ape hangers and a springer. I may end up selling the other two when the dust clears, as I'm feeling it's time to thin out the herd yet again. More as it progresses. 8)

Re: the OP Special-an upcoming project

Well 2 days later there's a box waiting for me...
op1-2.jpg

After a short time, a de-stickering and a change of bars, phase 1 is complete.
op2-1.jpg

op3-1.jpg

I was surprised to find actual grease in the bearings. So to let it sit and simmer while I ponder phase 2. 8)

Well I wasn't digging the apes on this bike, and the springer was too small for the frame so I decided to try a different look. Added the whitewalls, the chainguard, low bars and my Brooks birthday seat. I must say I do like the clean uncluttered look...
Img_5826.jpg

Img_5828.jpg

Img_5827.jpg

next? who knows...maybe a wood tank, a rack, or fenders..

WOW! With the whitewalls it looks like a totally different bike! What a difference they made! :mrgreen:

If it were my bike, I'd make a wood tank (stained darker to match the grips), get a brown seat to match, maybe make a wooden chainguard, find a neat old headlight and truss rods... man the possibilities!

well, now I'm on a mission...to build a cool bike and try to keep it under $200. So far I'm well below the limit! 8)

Looks great :D Can't go wrong for 79 bucks :mrgreen: Let me know if you want to get rid of the springer fork :wink:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

blacksheep said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:
You KNOW what I'd do with it...copy this!
100_0277_61ar.jpg

Cheers!
Dr. T

Hey! I know that bike! :wink:

Paint the forks black(if you keep those), polished shorty fenders, rivet seat, and maybe a bullet light

Ichi said:
Paint the forks black(if you keep those), polished shorty fenders, rivet seat, and maybe a bullet light
I'm thinking 2 tone w black pinstriped fenders and a rack. Something like this...
op4bb.jpg

probably will keep it basic black for now...
op4ba.jpg

(Don't have the skills to draw the fenders...)

I had the day off so I cut the tank out of wood.
op5-1.jpg

A few craft store stars, some stain...
op5a.jpg

op5b.jpg

and the tank is done for now.
op5c.jpg

That tank looks GREAT :D How did you make it the right size :?:

outskirtscustoms said:
Nice work, did you do the cardboard template trick?
yes I did. :D

Well, I was tinkering in the garage and found a pair of white fenders I had forgotten about. After giving them a quick buffing and laying them out on the tires I knew they had found a new home.I even had a chance to go for a ride today. :D
op6d.jpg

op6c.jpg

op6-1.jpg

There was a small part on the top where a basket had rubbed the paint down to the bare metal...justbig enough to be hidden by Team Terrapin's official mascot.
op6b.jpg

and an old souvenir from Las Vegas becomes the new headbadge!
op6e.jpg

all it needs is one of those Person's sirens, except that would break the bank.

Back