The Mean Machine - FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really like the grill that you made! Your flea market bike is kind of cool. I like how someone used a wooden tank for a quick gender bender on that bike.

Yeah, that's what caught my eyes first, then the tiny wheels. The guy said that the plywood had just broke that morning as his wife was unloading it from the truck.

Taking a break from work and surfing Facebook, I saw this and remembered I wanted to put a spoiler on the rear rack. Hmmmm......
FB_IMG_1686598470586.jpg

Looks like we are in for humid weather for the next week or so, along with a good chance of rain each day, so I made an executive decision to skip painting any part of the frame and "git to buildin'!"

Been cleaning up some of the mess in the shop last night and tonight so I could get around easier when working in the shop. Started an experimental bicycle work stand by clamping a 2×4 to the workbench. I imagine it will evolve as I work on the Mean Machine. So far it is a big improvement over crawling around on the floor or ground.
20230623_185320.jpg
20230623_184637.jpg

I built the part of the bench my miter saw sits on so it could slide out for more room to compound slide around. Makes it really easy to solidly clamp the 2×4 down.
20230623_184816.jpg

Anybody know what this is? It was in the box-O-parts I got a few weeks ago.
20230623_182114.jpg

20230623_182120.jpg

Well now, that ought to get me back on page one again!

Last edited:
Near as I can figure, it looks like an older Madone seatpost, a carbon road bike from the mid to late '00s. There are about three choices of clamp/guts, but I think this might be yours. Is it a 27.2 mm diameter seatpost?

bontrager seat post head.jpg

This is from the trekbikes.com website. The only size they still have left is the smallest 7x7mm . There are knock-offs on ebay, but you would be gambling there.
The thing about carbon posts and clamps is that you have to stick very stringently to the torque parameters or you will break the post. Very strong and compliant vertically, but can't take too much clamping pressure.

Near as I can figure, it looks like an older Madone seatpost, a carbon road bike from the mid to late '00s. There are about three choices of clamp/guts, but I think this might be yours. Is it a 27.2 mm diameter seatpost?

View attachment 238129

This is from the trekbikes.com website. The only size they still have left is the smallest 7x7mm . There are knock-offs on ebay, but you would be gambling there.
The thing about carbon posts and clamps is that you have to stick very stringently to the torque parameters or you will break the post. Very strong and compliant vertically, but can't take too much clamping pressure.
I haven't measured the diameter. Just eye balling it, it looks like a standard 1"/25.4mm post. Probably not much difference visually between 25.4 and 27.2mm

Thanks. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

This reminds me of the old pinewood derby cars! Very cool.

Not Pinewood derby cars, but I've been building wooden toy cars for my grandkids. I build a race car every year for their birthday with their age for the car's number. Here's the grandson's car for this year. He's into "Cars" movies and videos. This one is an experimental car using skateboard wheels.

Attachments

• 20230304_200904~2.jpg
    20230304_200904~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Not Pinewood derby cars, but I've been building wooden toy cars for my grandkids. I build a race car every year for their birthday with their age for the car's number. Here's the grandson's car for this year. He's into "Cars" movies and videos. This one is an experimental car using skateboard wheels.
That

Is

Awesome!!!!!

😎

Back