the "I've got no name for it yet" schwinn rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I brought the Schwinn High Sierra frame back into the basement from the scrap pile and put the original wheels back on. Using one of the downtubes from a previous elgin gender swap I'll crate a twin top tube frame. Picked up an NOS chrome 26" cruiser fork from the LBS (amazing what those guys have stashed away under the workbench) since i used the original on the Rollfaster project. The rear wheel spacers got shuffled around, rim re-dished, chain stay's narrowed a few mm and drop outs re-aligned for single speed action. Front cranks were stripped of their (eccentric) bio pace rings and a vuelta middle ring installed. Chrome KMC chain and freewheel are at the ready. fitting a headset is once again a challenge as i'm about a 1/4" shy on the steerer tube length. I think I'll cut the headtube this time instead of my usual of splicing the steerer tube. I had a stumpy GT bmx stem that fit the orignal aluminum bars just right. The bars a little bent and about 36" wide so there's another project. The only issues to work out are that i sold the rollercam brakes on e-bay so the plan is to weld new brake bosses on the underside of the chainstays to hide them. Working on some interresting tire and trim ideas.....more new meets old style.....stay tuned..

As rough as the bike looks i dont think it had very many miles on it. original everything and very little wear on the crank arms and the bear traps are in pretty good shape.

As found
DSCN0842.jpg

Got some welding done last night. The new look in mock up form:
DSCN0132.jpg

Getting some mileage out of that Elgin ladies bike i did a gender change on a while back, the new tube in the Schwinn is the downtube i removed from that bike. how about that for recycling!

Not sure about the chrome fork, what do you think? I'll have to cut down the steerer tube about 1/4" to make it work. :x

I'd like to go with blue tires, pedal cages, seat and make up a top tube pad ala fixie style. I reall really want a pair of those sweetskins nightwings but at $ 39.00 each they are spendy.

DSCN0133.jpg

stick with the chrome forks! sounds like its headin' in the old school bmx direction! and there ain't nothin' wrong with that!!!

Looks very familiar .....
DSCF3118.jpg

DSCF3119.jpg

Been working on mine for awhile (can ya tell by the pictures?). Got a little more done to her since the pics.
She originally started out as an early nineties Giant Butte, my first mountain bike. She served me well with absolutely no problems, I just wanted to spruce her up. Along with new modification came her new name, MountainFreak.

As you've probably figured out, I love the looks of your bike!The chromies look good! Can't wait to see your spin on our kissin' cousins!

P.s. when I bought my bike a buddy of mine bought a High Sierra! It's the big boy version frame. I can't even ride the monster! I've got the bike now and was actually thinking of doing something similar to it ....Scary! So let's make it a threesome!
Chainy

Let me know if you're interested in selling/trading the brake levers/brake calipers/shifters/grips off of that High Sierra. :wink:

Chainsaw. How funny! I always called those the Giant Boo-Tay. That's going to look great with the red tires.

I got the welding done. As soon as i can find a cam for my Odyssey roller cam brake :? all the non essential tabs, cable guides and so forth are coming off. Hopefully my LBS has a head tube cutter/facing tool, i'm nervous about cutting it freehand.

Hey Chainsaw, where are you at on the Giant White Butt?

I worked late into the night Friday got all the non essential tabs ground off, head tube cut down and refaced to accept the chrome fork and frame sanded....

I made some progress over the last couple of weeks on this one. Welded on brake bosses under the chainstays, smoothed the welds on the new lower top tube with some bondo, ground off all the old bosses and added a pair under the down tube for cable routing, cut 1/4" off the headtube and re-faced to fit the chrome fork. My son wanted orange so the bike got a sanding, priming and two coats of Valspar orange enamel. The bars are Soma Noah's Arc's and thanks for the grips Atomic! Hoping to re-do the seat and make a top tube pad with some pipe insulation covered with silver metalflake vinyl. I've got a pair of 26" x 1-2/8 semi knobbies to roll on.

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0301.jpg

bars are SOMA Noah's Arc.

Went to mount up the tires this morning, rims are stamped Araya 26", tires are some 1980's NOS Kenda's marked 26" x 1-3/8, but i think they are mismarked 27 inchers :? . Not even close. Weird.

Back