the I'll show you OFF TOPIC bike thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I’d certainly rather wear the foam rubber conga drum and the blue shoelaces than the titanium golf tea.

C5A4F80D-BD05-499C-A224-0DF1AFA0B17C.jpeg

I thought my wife was going to have a big Frankenstein scar, but evidently there’s just a few little puncture wounds where they inflate you and poke their instruments in with a microscope.

Normally the ball is the top of the bone, the socket it naturally in the shoulder. For the reverse they cut off the top of the arm bone and drive a socket in there that looks like an oversized golf tee made from titanium. Then, they screw a ball into the shoulder. Various muscles hold tension pulling the joint together. I'm not supposed to ever lift over 25lbs. above my head.
Here is an example. This is not mine. The joints are custom to patients.
280px-Right_RSP_Monoblock.jpg

Oof, I thought I had a mess of steel in my shoulder, that is a horror show! I shattered the greater tuberosity of my right humerus. To repair, they had to cut through the rotator cuff, and put it back together again using a plate and seven screws. I wish I still had the x-ray, looks like a robot grasshopper living in there
9783131660411_c002_f001.jpg

I won't list everything I've broken, dislocated or permanently twisted. But I've got screws in my ankle and a nice swagger to my gait. Broke my back in 1985 and healed without the suggested fusion (no surgery at all!) Aced my yearly physical too so I'm still doing all my own stunts...

If you can still push the pedals and pluck the strings there’s a lot to be thankful for.

I’ve had a whole bunch of stupid close calls that could’ve resulted in serious orthopedic injuries, but each time God was on my side. At least I think that’s how it works.

I worked at Pepperidge Farm when I was in college! There were a lot of “mistakes” made. People got fat. ;)

I was working on machinery and checking out the women. Anyhow we got to eat a lot of mistakes. All the women worked on the production line and all the guys were in the shop fixing conveyors & welding things.

Also the guys had rigged the coffee machine. If you knew where to stick a short welding rod in a tiny inconspicuous hole right under the aluminum trim, it would hit the reset button and pour coffee.

remember the coin-op coffee machines in the old days with poker hand paper cups?

View attachment 252384
I remember we would have a running $5 bet on every Fridays first break, way back when I worked on the manufacturing line. It was the 'Date Night' Bet. We'd meet in the Smoke room and winner took the kitty. Made for a decent night out with the wife on more than one occaision.

My wife helped me get the old makeshift workbench out of the way. Was two doors from the wash room when we got the front loading washer and dryer and the doors no longer fit, stacked on packing barrels.
20231118_135625.jpg

20231118_142310.jpg

Plugged the old 'world book encyclopedia' map of the world to one of the plugs so I know when the power is on.
20231118_174006.jpg

May get a bit cluttered quickly during a buildoff. But happy for the upgrade!

I see Redstone red mags, a red Sugino or similar chainring/spider, and red pedals (Sugino? SR?). Is that a Predator by any chance? Flashbacks to my brother's '83(ish) that he built all up with paper route money...

RDT_20170303_224446865668148.jpg

This pic was after he put the blue Z-Rims on it, but I remember it had red mags when he got it. Still remember the CR-MO-MAG sticker on the chainstay. (Not gonna lie, I love this pic and will trot it out any time I have an excuse.)

I see Redstone red mags, a red Sugino or similar chainring/spider, and red pedals (Sugino? SR?). Is that a Predator by any chance? Flashbacks to my brother's '83(ish) that he built all up with paper route money...

View attachment 252890

This pic was after he put the blue Z-Rims on it, but I remember it had red mags when he got it. Still remember the CR-MO-MAG sticker on the chainstay. (Not gonna lie, I love this pic and will trot it out any time I have an excuse.)
Yes, mine is a 83 CrMoMag predator. Had it since new. Lots of stories on this one. It has the SR stem and seat post clamp, sugino cranks and Redstone mags.

In the pic, The one on the right is definitely a 83/84 predator. I see upgraded pedals and seat post as well. 2 of the weaker components that year, mine have been replaced as well. Not sure what the loop tail on the left is. Is it a Huffy maybe ?

Not sure what the loop tail on the left is. Is it a Huffy maybe ?

It's a P.K. Ripper. Look close at the down tube just behind the kid's right foot (Pony sneakers, remember them?). The light blue letters are the P.K.

Not my pic, but like this:
pkrip.png

His buddies all had cool bikes. I remember the Ripper, a Redline, a couple Mongooses (Mongeese?), Hutch, others. I had a friend who had a fancy Mongoose, I don't remember now if it was a Californian or a Supergoose or what, but I know he got into organized BMX. I had a Huffy spray bombed black with yellow Troxel mags for a little while, then sometime in middle school I got into road bikes.

It's a P.K. Ripper. Look close at the down tube just behind the kid's right foot (Pony sneakers, remember them?). The light blue letters are the P.K.

Not my pic, but like this:
View attachment 252916

His buddies all had cool bikes. I remember the Ripper, a Redline, a couple Mongooses (Mongeese?), Hutch, others. I had a friend who had a fancy Mongoose, I don't remember now if it was a Californian or a Supergoose or what, but I know he got into organized BMX. I had a Huffy spray bombed black with yellow Troxel mags for a little while, then sometime in middle school I got into road bikes.
Cool. Couldn't tell if it was a P or an H. PKs were the bikes we all wish we had. I had a Team Murray before the schwinn. Rebuilt it every weekend. Was not the high quality bike. Then i got Predator, for my birthday My friend Dwaine had a 83 mongoose he got 30 days later. My friend John had a 79 mag scrambler, then a 83 chromoly diamondback that he got on his birthday. Ricky had a Redline. So many cool bikes that we all loved. A lot of mountain riding where I lived. Racing, jumping in the gravel pit, creek riding, and so much more.

We all like mongeese's. Heheh 😃

Latest posts

Back