The Hawthorne Hustle -update 8/2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, after a good solid month of reading, searching, oogling and aahhing over the builds here, I have come up with a plan for my second build. My goal is to build this bike with the knowledge and ideas extracted from RRB. I'm shooting for low, meaty and fast. Not as simple looking as my first, with a little more detail on function with a twist of old-school. This time around, I'm gonna try (and yes I do mean try) to take it slow and methodical. O, and the "Hustle" part...well you will see that later...hopefully.
Here goes...

I picked up this 60 Hawthorne on the local CL. It's very light and has a unique frame. If I can keep the weight down...fast is a check,
bike004.jpg

Then instead of bending/welding up a lay back seat post, i decided to chop and zap a new seating angle. I'm just gonna tack it until I get the wheels and tires just to be safe. Low, check.
Picture003.jpg

Got the forks in from Double Nickle (thanks again man!) and put on some temporary wheels (from the argyle bike) to see how it sits. .... those forks are huge...hold on the weight and fast thing...and the function thing. It does look fast cool though.
Picture004.jpg

Next up, gotta get more parts in...

Finally got some parts in...

picked this hub up because the red stripes matched the red paint... :D
6789864d.jpg

what tires you say?...gotta go with those CFTB's
5bc8b914.jpg

It's starting to look like something now...
128f22e2.jpg

The 24x3's fit with a hair to spare, so I have that and the chain clearance to attend to later. What have you guys done with in this case? I thought about using those fancy extended gears, but with this hub, it looks like that isn't gonna work.

I also picked up a 64 tooth chainring....still attached to a super mint XR-8.
591b0481.jpg

It's so pretty that my GF refuses to let me take it apart....I guess I should start looking for another one if I am to finish this project...stay tuned.

Back