The Good the Cheap and the Argyle...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

It's strange that this build started about a month ago...and I didn't even know about RRB until last week!!!

Oh BTW, this was my first experience with customizing a bicycle...it's not as cool as most of the bikes on here, but here goes...

Long story short, my girlfriend has an Electra Gigi and mentioned that it would be cool if I had a cruiser too. I told her if i did, it would be on the cheap, as I didn't feel like throwin' down some coin like she did for a cool bike.

After days of scouring the local C-list and ebay, I ended up at wally-world. What did I get?
Ta-da...the Huffy Cranbrook.
cranbrookbefore.jpg

I took everything apart before I even rode it...then out came the flat black (as if there was a second choice) and the day-glo green (and yes I painted it in a well ventilated area).
bike002.jpg

I decided to keep the fenders their original color. Some argyle? Yes please.
bike006.jpg

I threw on a seat, some NOS lime green pedals, drilled out some dice for valve stems and some grips too...
bike003.jpg

I think I'm gonna finish painting the rear fender push the seat back, change out the handlebars, and i'm thinking something cool for a headlight,...

-James

I like this...a lot! Love the argyle, did you paint that? And yes, do the back fender too! Really unique but yet looks like it was originally part of the design.

LOVE IT MAN!
Doing the fenders in argyle would set it off!
A touch of green on top would look cool...like some day-glo grips :D
Nice start to a new hobby!
Keep it up and welcome to ... the addiction :D

FOUND OBJECTS said:
LOVE IT MAN!
Doing the fenders in argyle would set it off!
A touch of green on top would look cool...like some day-glo grips :D
Nice start to a new hobby!
Keep it up and welcome to ... the addiction :D
Maybe just black stem and bars...
This build reminds me of an old ride I had ...1952 Dodge Coronet.
Had the same color and wheel combo on that bad boy.
Lime green Rims and whitewalls. Something about that combo :D

Thanks for the encouraging words guys!

StepChld said:
I like this...a lot! Love the argyle, did you paint that? And yes, do the back fender too! Really unique but yet looks like it was originally part of the design.

Yes, I painted the argyle myself. It took some good tape, alot measuring and even more patience.

Graylock said:
Very sweet...................the saddle, where did you get it,

GL

The saddle is a velo knock-off i think. It doesnt even have a brand on it. Probably cheap tiawanese stuff, but I saved some money and it looks to be of decent quality.

I got an idea for the headlamp...sorta goes along with the nerdy cool argyle theme...

light000.jpg

light002.jpg

light003.jpg

The actual beam is pretty large considering the small pencil hole. I think I'm gonna rig the handle to spin one way for "on" and the other for "off"...

Awesome use of the pencil sharpener.I happen to have a few of those,I might be taking a spin with that idea.
-Kreep-

that argyle looks very cool! did you do the orange stripes by hand or is it vinyl tape or something?

im guessing he used 1/8" fineline to mask off where the orange is(i know alot of people have steady hands but those are just to perfect for hand painted)
nice looking bike and good job on an original headlamp

max210 said:
that argyle looks very cool! did you do the orange stripes by hand or is it vinyl tape or something?

Thanks! I started with taping off the first set of diamonds, in this case, the brown...
bike008.jpg

then the black on the next tape run...
bike009.jpg

then I tape off the orange "stripes" to hand paint them with a very small brush. For the rear, I decided to not paint the full length of the fenders because I was afraid it might look too busy.

Oh, and for those with the keen eye, I picked up the beginnings for project #2 this Saturday for cheap...
bike004.jpg

My girlfriend officially hates me and this website :lol:

51be7966.jpg

Thanks! The potentiometer I picked up at the local Shack didn't fit, so I opted for a nice toggle switch. You can't get it on a picture, but that light is really bright.

I'm working in some ideas for the Hawthorne I just picked up.

Back