The Galtbacken 18

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all your feedback and comments! :D

vibr8shaun: Glad to hear you like my bikes! :)
My thought process often starts with a basic idea sprung from something I've seen and love the look of. Could be anything really, another bicycle, a motorbike, a car...a bird or some other animal or just shapes that I find beautiful. This spring I spent a lot of time at the shore of Sweden's biggest lake, a beautiful environment with lots of different kinds of birds, and while watching some of them and how they move in the air I got pictures in my head of bikes that would somewhat resemble that feeling of swift and effortless movement. Other times when I get an idea for a bike, that first idea can come from something I've already done and would like to try and change a little and make it better, or I want to see what I can make with a specific material as with the Whippet where I'd like to try if/how I can make an entire bike from thin steel tubes and fiberglass.
Whatever the first idea might be it sits in my head while I try out different lines on a paper until I have a basic simple line sketch of the bike I'd like to try and build. I often have more details laid out for myself than what shows in the sketch, like what colours I'm seeing for the bike or the shapes of different details, but I allow myself to change my mind while I build if I come up with somethin that I think will be better in some way and some ideas don't come until I've started building.
While I draw that first, and most often the only sketch of the bike I start with all the measurements of the parts I'll be using (wheels, cranks etc.) and the measurements that are required for the bike to fit the person I build it for, making sure that the distance from the pedals to the seat, and from the seat to the handlebars are ok and so on. It's a balancing act between function and aesthetics, where function comes first and then trying to find a way to make it resemble that picture I see for my inner eye.
Thanks again, and it's good you're not Escher, 'cause he seems to have a skull in his eye... :wink:

HotRodJen and max210: Glad you like it! :D

irzouts: Thanks!! The Pedersen is a one of a kind bike. :D

Oh well, friday afternoon...back to mathematics. Rock on! :D

I just wanted to say its a pleasure keeping up on all your builds, its like watching a artist in action, and I would not be able to compare your designs to anyone else you are truly one of a kind, and I think this site is very blessed by your contributions, thank you for all you do. Always anticipating what you come up with next :wink:

Thank you Gold Street! I'm grateful to be a part of this community of so many kind and generous and talented people, and I feel blessed to receive so much appreciation and inspiring encouragement from you guys for something I do only because I enjoy it! :)

I took a break from studies around six o'clock this afternoon to go for a short bikeride. I was thinking of just going outside for a little while and get some fresh air...well...I returned home two hours later! :roll: :lol: Not only do I enjoy riding this bike so much it's almost crazy, but I also found out that the town I live in is just great for bikeriding! Lots of bikelanes and it's almost flat everywhere you go, no big hills to climb, you can just cruise around... :D
I brought the camera and took a couple more shots of the bike.

Frdig18.jpg

Frdig19.jpg

I guess I'll bring the camera for more rides and take some photos of my surroundings and post in the neighbourhood section. :)

Art on wheels 8)

I suppose this is a great example of European customizing, as oppsosed to American style frames ? Not that there is a need to be opposite eachother, just saying "and now for something completely different" :mrgreen:

I take the family camping just for a few days and when I get home I find out that I have just missed the most anticipated bike build reveal EVER!!!! Wow!! The Galtbacken 18 is just beautiful!! A perfectly executed rolling piece of art!! I’m with vibr8shun on this. It’s a throw back with it’s classic lines and attention to details, but with modern day upgrades however the modernness’ doesn’t take over that classic look. I mean the paint colors, the seat and grips, head light, tail light, fenders, chainguard oh and the hand built frame!!! It’s all just AMAZING!!! The amount of time and effort that you have put in to this piece of art really shows!! You have really done one fantastic job!!! :D :D :D

Ace: Thanks! Can't help it, I'm european! :mrgreen: :lol:

id5000: Thank you! :D

Half Link: You have to let me know of your family plans in the future so I can schedule my bike reveals accordingly... :lol: Thanks for the kind words buddy, glad you like the end result! :D

Thanks! :)
It has turned a couple of heads when I've been out riding, but mostly people seem to try and figure out what it is from the corner of their eye. :lol:

I solved the problem with the rear derailleur!! Or to be closer to the truth, the problem solved itself. 8) Turned out to be a bad chain. I shortened the chain to see if it being too slack was what was causing it to skip gears, then took the bike for a ride. After a while when I put some more force on the pedals (crossing a little bridge) the chain snapped and not where I had shortened it. Bought a new chain and put on and now the gears are running smoothly! :D Now it's a dear derailleur. :)

Galtbacken said:
I solved the problem with the rear derailleur!! Or to be closer to the truth, the problem solved itself. 8) Turned out to be a bad chain. I shortened the chain to see if it being too slack was what was causing it to skip gears, then took the bike for a ride. After a while when I put some more force on the pedals (crossing a little bridge) the chain snapped and not where I had shortened it. Bought a new chain and put on and now the gears are running smoothly! :D Now it's a dear derailleur. :)
SWEET!

It’s funny how you can put so much effort into trying to fix a problem and then they just some how
end up fixing themselves. My guess... It’s the bike gods adding there finishing touches on one
of the most amazing bikes around!! :D

Back