The Frisco Flyer - MTB Frame Board Tracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling with whether to build up a Pashley Guv'nor style or Board Track racer but when I found a complete Free Spirit "Dynasty" 10-speed mountain bike in the recycling bin the other day, the decision was pretty much made for me. I'd always liked the look of ifitsfreeitsforme's build that he did with an old mountain bike frame as documented here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10886&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=mountain+bike

And thought I could do something similar. So, with feet of snow still on the ground up here at 9017ft and a serious case of spring fever, I broke out the wrenches and grinder and got to work.

Scraped off all the decayed graphics and logos and sanded out the high spots left

photo (7) by skiphast04, on Flickr

Decided that while I was at it, I might as well sand down all the chips in the original red paint and smooth out the rough spots

photo (8) by skiphast04, on Flickr

The frame had lots of cable guides and stops welded on orginially, as well as posts for the brakes on the seat stays. Those had to go- grinder time!

photo (9) by skiphast04, on Flickr

Decided to use some leftover EMT conduit as the second top tube. And yes, before you ask, I made sure to remove the galvanized coating before welding it in. I used muriatic acid but made a huge toxic mess before everything was done. I will not be doing that ever again...

photo (10) by skiphast04, on Flickr

So, it turns out that the tubing on cheap-o Taiwanese frames is pretty thin, and so is EMT conduit. Manage to blow one or two small holes through both so had to build up some gnarly welds in order to fill the holes back in. The grinder should clean them up ok and with a little Bondo it will look as good as new

photo (11) by skiphast04, on Flickr

The second weld came out a little cleaner after we adjusted the power a bit on the welder

photo (12) by skiphast04, on Flickr

Still searching for parts for this build so if anyone has an older SA 3-speed w/ coaster hub I'd be interested. Also looking for a set of 26" forks with clean truss rods.

More updates to follow as April moves on!

Back