The Flying Margarita

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what year this bike is, but it was my Dad's, and has been hanging upside down from the rafters for at least 30 years. I remember riding this thing a couple of times when I was a kid, but thought it was uncool, and was much more into my Stingray and eventually my Huffy 10 speed. I've done-up a few bikes this summer, and got the inspiration to "reclaim" this bike from it's spot in the rafters and "freshen it up" rat rod style.

P1010035-1.jpg

P1010036.jpg

That child seat makes me laugh -- how did any of us ever reach our 40th birthdays when our parents stuck us on contraptions like that (no seat belt, no suspension, no real secure attachment to the frame, no way of insuring you don't fall over the sides, no helmet, etc.)? What a beautiful tartan vinyl seat! But the Schwinn "schwing" lettering is nice -- to bad I don't know how to stripe like that -- it's going to get stripped off, because this bike will not be keeping it's blue color.

P1010041.jpg

It's a Bendix 3 speed with a front brake. I rode it tonight -- the tires hold air well, but the bike is stuck in 3rd gear, and the front wheel needs truing. My wife decided she wanted this one, and told me how it was going to be painted -- flat black all over, lime "margarita" green rims and whitewall tires. It will be adorned with lime wedges, a salt shaker somewhere, and a margarita glass holder. The fenders are staying on, but will be painted, not chromed.

P1010053.jpg

P1010055.jpg

I'm building an AWESOME fixie right now with some ultra-cool components, so until that's done, I probably won't tear-into this (no sense having two projects going at the same time). Ideally, I'll have it rolling by the end of August.

If value is no issue then go ahead and paint it up.

You might do a bit of research first though...that bike is in really nice original shape and would probably bring some serious coin if you decided to sell.

Did I mention that I'm a fan of nice original Schwinn paint? :wink:

I have to agree with Steve on thinking about keeping it og. The feathered-out Schwinn decal and long fork darts peg this bike as a 1954-58, probably a Tiger with the checkerboard seat tube decal. Also, those are likely stainless steel fenders, worth decent bucks, i wouldn't paint 'em. You can get reproduction decals on ebay, and easily find the correct chainguard. Of course, these are merely suggestions. ~Adam

I'd wax it, fix the hub issue, regrease, gently clean the rust off, and that would be all. It really is a beautiful, clean original and it would be nice to keep it original.

Hmmmm. I have two other bikes that I could execute that idea on and keep this one "barn fresh." Since it just needs cosmetic and light mechanical attention at this point, I'll take your collective advice and keep it straight.

So now I'm going to execute the "Flying Margarita" concept on a 1970-something Sears step-through 3 speed. And since I have the matching men's bike (these were also my parents), perhaps I can do a his-n-hers.

I'll continue this build thread with those bikes. Thanks for the advice everyone -- you spared another one from the mod squad!

OK, so let's not lose the idea I wanted to execute. Flat black and lime green. We're just going to change the canvas and do it TWICE instead of once. Here's what I'm going to work with (and don't tell me that a matching set of these bikes is worth preserving for the Smithsonian Museum or anything):

Classic department store 3-speed iron:
aug60001.jpg

aug60005.jpg

aug60008.jpg

aug60009.jpg

aug60011.jpg

And guess what! My Mom saved everything! I even have the manual for these bikes.

AUG6093.jpg

I need to finish my fixie, called "Sight Unseen." It is an all-black bike with a real prosthetic human glass eye from WWII on the head tube!!!

Thanks again for keeping me from tweaking that Schwinn -- the more I think about it, the more I'm interested in doing a full and proper restoration on it to bring it back to the condition my Dad got it in when he was a youngin'.

Back