The fever is spreading.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not been here long, and I've not contributed much in my time here. But I have got a few builds rattling along. I started with two bikes, and the missus kept asking "what do you need two for?"... Numbers grew, building spread from porch to the kitchen. I figred it wouldn't last long before I was sent outside and forced to downsize my operation. Instead, Hazel started taking more of an interest "can I have a go with the brass wheel?" I'll come home now and her schwinn will be rearranged, she installs all the new parts herself, fine tunes seat and bar height, cable tension... She bought two bikes last week and is looking forward to learning to build her own wheels. Find out tomorrow if our lease application has been accepted, fingers crossed we'll be moving into a house with a truly enormous shed. Truly rad.

Good luck with the house. It is nice to have an understanding (and contributing) spouse. My wife has yet to become as thrilled with bikes as I am and I doubt she ever will. But she tolerates my obsession. I had here come out to see my build off bike and to get her opinions. I ran to the garage for a minute and when I came out she was gone, but so was the bike. I found her a minute later riding down the street with a big grin across her face.

While she doesn't like building them, my two daughters have caught the fever and are common company in the garage.

Hiya Leroy-

The good news is, there is no cure. You just have to let it take its course, and the "disease" will take you some fun and exciting places indeed.

Having the right kind of house or apartment arrangement is huge in allowing you to build those things you dream up when you're going to bed... half asleep... when you hit on ideas that must be implemented in steel and rattle-can paint!

But having an understanding wife, girlfriend, family- that's the key. The others in your life have to at the very least tolerate your work, passion, and obsession. It's even better when they contribute to it fully.

47schwinn_x6.jpg

My wife is very understanding, to say the least. She's helped polish fenders, haul back Ebay treasures, gone on all my bike rides and some of the 5 am swap-meet drives, and encourages me to build/paint/customize/photograph/post/email and ride my creations around town.

47schwinn_a12.jpg

Best of luck to you, sounds like good things are happening for you.

--Rob in Connecticut

NLCTVWguy said:
...The good news is, there is no cure. You just have to let it take its course, and the "disease" will take you some fun and exciting places indeed...

...But having an understanding wife, girlfriend, family- that's the key. The others in your life have to at the very least tolerate your work, passion, and obsession. It's even better when they contribute to it fully.

--Rob in Connecticut
Truer words never said! Those two statements are the essence of this hobby! My fiancee was the first woman to NOT be concerned about my hobby! Her only rule is no bike parts in the kitchen, or stored in the upstairs of the house. Basement is mine!! :mrgreen: -Adam

ahh yes. the fever is high with me, its even spread to my girlfriend, who bugs me to come over and have me teach her my ways. :shock:

Back