The "fastest cruiser bike"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the S2C sturmey are 1.4 i think, and bendix bluebands that was about the same I think, and I think sachs made one too ..

I got an s2c on my racer and it goes road bike speed, just harder to get it to do it.. :roll:

Before switching my chain ring from 46 to 40 tooth I was able to cruise my banana seat bike easily at around 20mph.

Im not sure if you are speaking about reaching 20mph on this bike in specific, but getting a cruiser up to 20mph is not impossible. I have gone over 20mph on one of my Felts on a slight incline, not downhill and If I remember correctly I got up to 30mph on my 7 speed dyno roadster on flat ground when I had that thing.

This numbers are not speculations; on my felt, my wife was driving back from the park while I was riding and she looked at the speedometer to see how fast I was going. On the dyno, i had a buddy pushing me to go faster while he rode his mountain bike with a bike computer on it.

As for him to say that he has the fastest cruiser in the world, he must live in a very small world. :roll:
as you guys can see he can get up to those speeds and most cruisers can, but listen to how tired he is after he gets off. A bike designed for speed would not cause such fatigue in such a short distance.

20 isnt hard at all if youve got the gearing. but like said above, holding a 20+ speed for very long will have you sucking air at the first excuse you find to stop.

personally i'd just like to see this guy pass a roadie on that bike, that would be worth watching :)

It's a Bendix 2 speed in high gear with a 48 tooth chain ring. It is normally 46 teeth. That's it. The gears cant be changed in the hub, you would have to machine a whole new hub. Did you see the bike's reaction when he said he did 34 mph? No way! In the video, he was going 15-18mph at best. What speedometer is he going by anyway? Subtract about 10mph from his claims and that's probably about right. Good for a laugh though.

edit: There is only one size sprocket for the 2 speed hub, he didn't machine a new one, it's the same regular size in the video.

Wildcat said:
It's a Bendix 2 speed in high gear with a 48 tooth chain ring. It is normally 46 teeth. That's it. The gears cant be changed in the hub, you would have to machine a whole new hub.

I have no doubt a talented machinist could alter the ratio in a hub with some major reworking, I'm just pointing out he says he gets nearly 150% outa the hub, and thats what most 2-speed overdrives get..... :roll: I

rydr1 said:
but listen to how tired he is after he gets off. A bike designed for speed would not cause such fatigue in such a short distance.

My thoughts, exactly! The dude even wrote "but this bike is geared to cruise above 30mph, if you're in shape enough to maintain that speed.". Can we all say "no duh"! So, you gear the bike high, add longer crank arms, skinnyish tires with high psi, and pedal like the dickens. It's not even "cruising" anymore, at this point. If I needed to go fast, all the time, I'd just get a road bike.

I wonder how fast Lance Armstrong could go on a super high geared cruiser. I mean, c'mon.........where's the magic?

"i have a 48t front chain ring and 20-27mph is normal cruising for it....bendix 70 m rear...40-43 top speed av. flat ground,"

Go through a speed zone and see what the police meter clocks you at.

I had a murray when I was a kid, it did over 100mph, after we dropped it off the quarry wall. :lol:

Years ago, when I was much more insane than I am right now, I took the fastest bicycle ride of my life. I hooked up with some friends in Lexington Park Maryland for an afternoon/into the evening of beer drinking. I was on my British made 10 speed...unknown manufacturer, and one of my friends was in a pick-up truck. We put my bike in the back of his truck and headed to the Tiki Bar in Solomons Maryland. We sat at the outside bar and had several cocktails...my preference it the day was Tequila Sunrises, I can only gusee right now that it was the tequila that led to what I did next. We left Solomons Island and headed back into St. Mary's county via this bridge

thumb.php

Close to, but not quite at the top I told my buddy to stop the truck. I got out, grabbed my bike, and told him to wait for me at the bottom. I got on the bike and started cranking. By the time I traveled a few hundred yards I had reached the peak, and then poured it on that much harder. I honestly don't know how fast I was ever up to, because my buddy was waiting at the bottom, but it was SCARY FAST!! Towards the bottom of the bridge the bike started shaking like mad. When I squeezed the brakes, the shaking only got worse. I honestly don't know how I did it, but I stayed on the bike. My buddy was waiting on the shoulder, and I passed him. When he caught up with me, we through the bike in his truck, and I vowed to never do that again. I have lived in the area of this bridge since it was new...38 years, and anyone I have ever crossed this bridge with by car has heard this story....some people more than once (my wife is sick of it). I'll lay out a challenge...any takers??

I could break 20 on my 1-spd "Mr. Goodyear" before I snatched his handle bar and seat post for my current rider. There's a hill on the local trail that I had to finish on foot, though. I could probably approach 30 on my 3-spd, but I'm too lazy and tired to do more than about fifteen for any distance on either one. :mrgreen: (downhill doesn't count. :lol: :wink: )

CCR said:
personally i'd just like to see this guy pass a roadie on that bike, that would be worth watching :)

I passed one today on my build-off bike!!! :D I have no proof though :cry: The guy looked at me funny when I went by him :lol: So...I can say I have a fast "old" bike :mrgreen:

The bikes can be ridden fast but the rider must be fast!
Years back I owned a fully restored Schwinn Panther in all its black, red and chrome glory, I occasionally rode this bike on a fifty mile round trip to work. One day on the way home a small group of three roadies on a training ride passed me on a long flat stretch headed towards the coast, I waved and decided to pull in behind them. They gave me a contemptuous look and picked up the pace, I put my hands near the stem, edged out to the tip of the saddle, on the rivet as it is called and picked up my pace. As they rotated through their paceline I just keep sitting on the last wheel and they keep picking up the pace. They keep giving me the evil eye as they worked to drop the guy in jeans, t-shirt, and backpack, I just keep matching their speed. When they had obviously topped out I started taking my pulls in their paceline spinning my gear like a madman. Then I hit the front and just pulled their legs off, I had these three guys puffing and blowing on my chromed rear fender. Then I told them that I got to get going and dropped all three of them as I speed away. Shortly there after I turned the corner and just about blew chunks. This took place over about a five mile stretch of road.
Now this is a true story. It turns out these guys were a group of category 4 road racers that worked with my girlfriend at the old Skid-Lid helmet factory. They got to work and proceeded to tell this story in all its glory about how they got blown away by some dork on an old beach cruiser. My GF burst out laughing and told them that they had been suckered! At the time I was one of Southern Cal's top Category 1 road and track racers.

KC so-cal said:
great story c.p :mrgreen:

ya thats choice! , theres an old guy around here on a high dollar recumbant that every time I come up on him I make sure I am at maximum velocity when I pass him... I'm sure he hates me....... :lol:

The dude rode like a quarter mile kinda fast on a tall geared bike, big freaking deal. There's a million guys and gals out there that would blow his butt off the road with little effort. Let's see what his average speed is for twenty miles, I guarantee he can't even hold that cadence for 5 minutes :lol:

Latest posts

Back