====~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~==== * Now With *New* Engine Sound *

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ====~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~====

kingfish254 said:
char said:
I need to head over the the paint shop and pick up some matt lacquer.Hopefully get some over the next day or two.

Yeah, you better not take too long before you clearcoat that. It may get too rusty on you. :p

:D

ncherguy said:
Great idea with the stain rust and the textured paint!

Thanks very much.

I picked up the matt lacquer today. Weather is looking good for tomorrow, so hope to get some spraying done outside.The weather has been strange lately.Perfect for painting the last two days, infact super warm! Last week I was out in the garden spraying and had two jackets and a winter hat on :)

I managed to get both the frame and forks matt lacquered yesterday and they have turned out real nice.I thought the lacquer might change the look a bit, but it looks great and is now protected it, so the stain doesn't come off.

IMG_1008.jpg

I have finished both stain and paint on the wheels and got the lacquer done on the front wheel yesterday.

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

Little bit of dry brushing of vermin brown round the hub and spokes.
IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

After the lacquer has dried

Untitled-20.jpg

I'm half way through lacquering the back wheel now and have just given one coat of the textured paint on the chain ring,
so have left that to dry for a while.

This is 8) 8)

dogdart said:
Awesome job on the paint 8)

Thanks a lot :)

Circa Cycles said:
This is 8) 8)

Cheers :D

Ok, so I finished the second coat of the lacquer on the back wheel this afternoon.Here are a few pictures painting the rust effect, after I put the stain on.

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

After the lacquer had dried.

IMG_1040.jpg

I'll get the tyres on the back wheel tomorrow, but I couldn't wait to see what the tyre looks like on the front wheel. The logos will need another coat of paint to cover
them up a bit more and the nuts and bolts will need blacking in when the forks are on and the tyres will need to have a bit of muddying up, but I think it looks nice!

IMG_1053.jpg

and a couple of pics of the textured paint going on the chainring. It's had two coats, so should be fully dry by tomorrow, then I can get the matt black on that too.

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

That's all for tonight. :mrgreen:

Well done :!:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
You need to paint that rust bucket!!!!! :p :mrgreen:

Circa Cycles said:
Well done :!:

Thank you!

kingfish254 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
You need to paint that rust bucket!!!!! :p :mrgreen:

Thanks guys!

Peatbog said:
Your paint method would probably be a good thing to put in the "How To" section once the build off ends, so it will easier to find forever.

Good idea.I'll try and put something together for everyone once the build off finishes.Thanks

I am really liking the "new - antique" look!! Cool the way you did it too

mitchelangelo said:
I am really liking the "new - antique" look!! Cool the way you did it too

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. :D

Had a good weekend, did lots of little bits to the bike. I finished up the back wheel and got the tyre on, with just a few scratches, but they painted in ok and kind of adds to the look anyway :) Then I gave the tyres another coat of black to cover up the logos so they now don't show.

Quite pleased with how they look.

IMG_1068.jpg

I have also been continuing with painting the chainring and stem.

Textured paint going on the Stem

IMG_1056.jpg

Painting on the matt black on both.

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

I started on the stain today.Just need to finish them off with some brown for the rusty bits tomorrow.

Untitled-21.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

I thought you'd all like a little pic of how the bicycle stands at the moment.I have had a 50's schwinn truss rods set for a while, which I would like to use.I will need to do a little custom bracket or extension to make them fit, so they are only bolted on at the top for the moment but just to give you an idea of how it will look. Not sure if i'll paint them yet or maybe i'll just add some stain or something to dull down the chrome a bit.

IMG_1070.jpg

Lookin' good :!:

Circa Cycles said:
Lookin' good :!:

Thank you :)

MplsCoaster said:
I Like it!

Cheers!

Xcruiser said:
Ill be darned,faux patina-Love it,its gonna look great when its done man!

It's coming along, still got lots to do!

ruddigger said:
Is that fork bent back slightly? It could just be the angle.

No it's not bent.I think it's just the way that it's been made.

Did a few little things today.Just finished off painting and lacquered the chainring and stem.Both have turned out nice.

Added a bit more rusty brown paint :)

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

Then gave them a couple of coats of the lacquer.

Dry and ready for fitting
IMG_1120.jpg

Also made a start on the crank.Gave it a sand, so hopefully get some paint on that tomorrow.

IMG_1127.jpg

Can't believe how cool this looks! :D Awesome work :mrgreen:

Back