====~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~==== * Now With *New* Engine Sound *

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ====~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~====

54shadow said:
That tank fits like a glove! It is awesome!

Thank you. :)

Keep up the great work on Steamboy, it's looking real nice!

Things are moving along ok. I had planned on fitting the tank into the frame the other day, but I will now need some more saddle clips to double, maybe tripple, to make up some space. Otherwise the tank will move around to much. I went to get those today and they had sold out of the size clips I needed. They had loads the other day, it's always the way. :mrgreen: Anyway, I should be able to get some over the next few days.

In the meantime I have started on the stencil for the oil tank. Just need to cut it all out in wood now.

e4b264a7.jpg

52936ba0.jpg

I managed to find some copper saddle clips at another store today, so I was able to fit the tank! I cut them a little shorter, so they sit just under the top painted clips. Almost acting as a washer.

3c741cdc.jpg

Lined it all up and screwed it into place.

c9e25534.jpg

The screws may need painting to match the colour of the bike, but it's looking good. No movement at all, it's really strong!

78c6a4b8.jpg

Also cut out the wood for the oil tank today.I have gone for three planks wide.It fits in perfect.

4836fdf7.jpg

7f8b5e72.jpg

Removed some weight from the middle plank.

2eebad6b.jpg

Glued it and clamped it together.

7577c3f7.jpg

It's drying at the moment, so once that's all dry, I'll give it a good sand down.

Wow, your work is amazing! :shock: Tank looks great, can't wait to see the oil tank :wink:

Keep up the great work!!!

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Wow, your work is amazing! :shock: Tank looks great, can't wait to see the oil tank :wink:

Thanks very much Schwinnray! Very king of you, cheers for the nice words.

Update from today. The oil tank glued well over night, so I was able to give it a good sand down today.I had a little check to see it all fits in the bike nice.Then started on the filler to cover up the wood lines.

2fbdc094.jpg

Then another sand down to make it all smooth.

578c6dfe.jpg

78d79be6.jpg

Little clean up and it's ready for paint!

80606e57.jpg

76ac4d06.jpg

It's had one coat of textured paint on, which is drying at the moment.

DUDE THE BIKE IS KILLER AND THE WOOD IDEA IS AWESOME!!! THANKS :wink: PEACE

More textured paint has been going on the oil tank today. About three good coats in total! It takes a while for this stuff to full dry because of the layers you have to build up to get that rough look to it. I have managed to get one coat of the grey on as well. It's getting there.

37a6d56b.jpg

7a251667.jpg

5512a530.jpg

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looking good! 8)

Thanks Schwinnray! :)

More paint again today. Grey and stain have been done on the oil tank.

be925c63.jpg

12ce622b.jpg

7ecfd144.jpg

29a37dc6.jpg

I'll be starting on the logo for the sides soon.

I also painted the saddle clips to match the paint on the tank.Looks a bit better now.

c1471eb7.jpg

7eeed94e.jpg

Oh and dry brushed the pedals and chain a little to dull the shine a bit.

Update time. Yesterday I started on the logo for the oil tank. I thought it would be cool to go with the same lightning bolt theme, one on each side, but vertical.

2809f416.jpg

6acedac1.jpg

01f73c38.jpg

a16b7704.jpg

2afbef72.jpg

18a01491.jpg

803e8212.jpg

68c2fbf2.jpg

Done!
f8ba820e.jpg

d9beeb60.jpg

Ready to matt lacquer.I can get that done tomorrow and should be able to fit it in the frame!

Finished off the oil tank today. Couple of coats of the lacquer.

a671e5be.jpg

Then it was time to fit it in the frame! It goes in nice and snug and doesn't move around at all.

3bf7c8e2.jpg

e6ee45bc.jpg

Just need to do some finishing touches now. Properly line up the headbadge and fix in place. I had thought about adding some oil and gas caps but I think it looks nicer without and would get in the way. Less is more.I'll get some good pictures soon!

Kinda reminds me of of this.

wonderboy.jpg

Latest posts

Back