The excitement builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep one of your other 2 wheels really close to you, i had more luck "copying" than i did from reading tutorials. i would think the tape idea would get you closer, then it will be easier to practice trueing. lacing wheels is emotoinally like giving birth,hard and painful at times, but the end result makes you so proud and happy you forget the pain. my appologies to any mothers reading this, wondering how would he know. good luck.

I am going ape poop crazy waiting for my 7 speed wheelset to get here. It should be here by the end of the day tomorrow. Due to other pressing issues, I was only able to buy the one set. Hopefully come Friday there will be some Townie 8i wheels left, if so I may pick up 1 or 2. I'd like to lace one into a 700c wheel.

Ok Pudge. Take a roll of electrical tape and go around each spoke and then to the next till you are
all the way around .Then take the nipples off and move your spoke fan to the new wheel and put the
nipples back on and true the wheel.
DSCF0001-157.jpg

I speak for all those who rode the short bus with me - thanks for the picture! :lol:
Uncle Stretch said:
Ok Pudge. Take a roll of electrical tape and go around each spoke and then to the next till you are
all the way around .Then take the nipples off and move your spoke fan to the new wheel and put the
DSCF0001-157.jpg

Wheels are dwindling. Only thing left are Silver Nexus 8, Pink 3 speed, Green and Gold 1 speeds.

kingfish254 said:
Wheels are dwindling. Only thing left are Silver Nexus 8, Pink 3 speed, Green and Gold 1 speeds.
And as of just moments ago I'm the newest proud owner of two of the pink 3 speed wheels! So if anyone somehow ends up with an extra front hub I'll be in the market so I can get a complete pink wheel set out of this deal, plus an extra 3 speed hub.

Uncle Stretch said:
DSCF0001-157.jpg

thanks for that! having never done a wheel, this idea just seems so obvious. geeze! thanx again. :eek:

It's really not hard to lace and true a wheel at all.
I'm sure I've posted these before but for lacing CLICK ME! for the easiest way to learn. I do mean that. This is hands down the best lacing video.
For truing CLICK ME! and read through. Tells you the easiest way and isn't confusing at all. I mean. both of those got me through my first set of wheel without a hitch, and if I can do it anyone can!
Unless you like spending money, then support your L.B.S. by all means!

Oh. I like the pink 3 speeds wheels! Cheaper than buying the hub and shifter. Not to mention the spokes are straight gauge 14 so I can roll those down to the size I need and use the nipples also. So yeah, I'm excited!I saved about $30 on one wheel plus I have a spare rim to boot. Can't shake a stick at that.

Those pinks look pretty cool on this Betty

dscn0204-1.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Those pinks look pretty cool on this Betty
dscn0204-1.jpg
I'm pretty excited about the 2 pinks I have coming! Either I get in touch with my feminine side, start convincing myself that pink is the new flat black, or I get serious about refurbishing my wife's bike with a new set of wheels! Either way I'm a winner with a new 3 spd hub after I make a pink wheel set out of the two rears I have coming.

Question: I'm thinking about taking a $50 chance and drilling out all 36 holes of the hub to fit the 10 guage(?) spokes of a Worksman clincher rim. In other words, I want to take the new hub out of the pink rim and lace it into a currently broken Worksman rim. I'm hoping the holes aren't too close to the edge of the flange. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

If they are both 3 speed nexus , you can swap the internals really easy.
If your trying to put a 3 speed nexus in a regular worksman hub the spoke holes in your hub my not be big enough.

Uncle Stretch said:
If they are both 3 speed nexus , you can swap the internals really easy.
If your trying to put a 3 speed nexus in a regular worksman hub the spoke holes in your hub my not be big enough.
Hey Unc Stretch, my situation is the latter of your two scenarios - I'm trying to take out a one speed coaster brake hub and lace in the spare hub I'll have from my pink purchase. I doubt the holes will be big enough to accept the fat spokes of the clincher rim so I'm considering attempting to drill the holes bigger. Shucks, I figured if anyone had done it, it would have been you!

Just an FYI for those thinking of swapping rims, be aware that the Electra rims have a raised center the spoke may be too short if you plan on lacing them into another wheel.

This is true measure rims make sure the same size.
MIGZ said:
Just an FYI for those thinking of swapping rims, be aware that the Electra rims have a raised center the spoke may be too short if you plan on lacing them into another wheel.

Back