~~ The Elgin Hot Rod ~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
Spent a lot of time like I always do on the wheels. Cleaning, removing surface rust, polishing, polishing, polishing etc. Rebuilt the hubs, BB and headset. Simply wiped down the bike with PB Blaster. Added the EA Light and Horn to the bars. Took it for a quick spin as yeah, you gussed it ~ SNOWING out! UGH! Many of you can vouch for a fact that these older horses ride like Cadillac's! No rattles or creaks, just smooth running. I have to say this has become my favorite bike. Can't wait for a nice day!

Joe

ElginF1.jpg

ElginF2.jpg

ElginF3.jpg

ElginF4.jpg

ElginF5.jpg

ElginF6.jpg

ElginF7.jpg

ElginF8.jpg

ElginF9.jpg

ElginF10.jpg

WOW, I'm really jealous, I wish I didn't have to buy a car this year or I'd buy myself a nice motobike. :wink:

Looks GREAT!.....Did you work on the front fender (duck tail)? Cause it looks perfect in the pics.

i replaced the tires with some NOS Western Flyer ones and no, i did not do any modifyin to the cancer on the ducktail. The mroe I thought about it the more i thought just leaving at is was better. Gave it that jsut found in the weeds look. i did remove the rack as it just looks cooler with out it and since it appears that it was an add on or option and not an Elgin unit, i was not attached to it.

Thanks, Joe

looks good! so i take it no one gets to buy the light and horn? :lol:

we had some snow last week. it was weird... :shock:

that is one sweet elgin! :D its about as perfect as a natural rat gets! :mrgreen: looks like i`m going to have to add an early elgin to my wish list!

that is a great lookin bike. yep, it snowed here in the seattle area april 1. what a year.

Outlaw

it snowed today here in kansas city misery, oops.. missouri. and it was 70degrees yesterday. i hate missouri weather

Easy E

Perfect patina. Its cool you have the new old tires to place on it. Something new would not work.

I took it out for a 5 mile loop yesterday. A very windy day here and it seemed that that as I went along my loop I was in a headwind the whole time, in particularly gusty as I was trying to pedal uphill. There were times I thought my quads were going to explode. I made it out to the LBS to give them a look see. They are very Rat friendly and were impressed. The topic of conversation quickly came to "back in the day" they rode these kinds of bikes over lesser roads with slightly less girth than my 220 lbs. An they rode them in all kinds of weather. i got to thinking that yeah, it's pretty well documented that the production numbers on bikes were high, but people really put these bikes thru there paces and probably left quite a few of them out in the elements year round, so when a good survivor shows up it tends to be a real gem.

Bottom line - I need to do more riding and loose a little of "my girth" LOL :lol:

Thanks for the kudos!

Joe

Back