The custom Hot Rod......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is yet another bike we have on the go here in the shop remember this frame?

IMG_1531.jpg

this was a proto type fame that never went into production...

I picked up this shwinn Stingray to rob all the parts from for this bike!
well we had a problem :? :? the real big shwinn tire would not fit!!!! bummer :cry:

NO PROBLEM.....walker has a sawsall...... :lol: HA HA Schwinn fans I cut one up! :p :mrgreen:

I cut off both the backs off of both the shwinn and the proto bike
IMG_1940-1.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

then welded the shwinn rear to the proto type.....

IMG_1944.jpg

here it is in mock up! I'm now on the hunt for a Morgan springer front....it will be perfect!

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

here is a shot of the old Schwinn frame(black) with the new proto type frame in mock up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IMG_1949.jpg

I'm pleased with the end result. I also belive the bike will be better to ride aswell.

COOOL !! those new curves makes that stingray look like a cold piece of steel FW, your makin me jealous with all your cool tools, clean workspace and MAD SKILZ !!!

you do realize youve just made yourself another project with the stingray front / concept rear right ?!? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So it occurred to me......hey I put a big tire onto a frame not intended for one :? that means the sprockets will not line up! :? darn.....

IMG_1960.jpg

but hey..... this is what makes building fun! :mrgreen: the rear is about a 1/2 inch out from the drive sproket.

here are two ways I came up with, and would love to hear yours

Is Kenny in the house?????

1. I may be able to shim a three pce crank ....not too sure about this...I need to learn more.

2. is to build a pillow block.....which would be real cool. I could even use the frame as the pillow block and re-enforce the frame around it.... :mrgreen: if nothing else this way would look real cool!

Jack Shaft, halfway between sprocket and tire,
jackshaftA.jpg

hey take the crank cup off the stingray with shims or a super keen one off cap for the ends you should be able to slide it into the new bike cup and weld or bold it in per the BBO rules. still haven't looked at them :?

then you will be back to square.

Re: The custom Chopper......

WOW I started this bike back in Sept...

I am having few problems with line up of both the front and back sprokets one of my first thoughts was something that I saw Kenny P do on one of his bikes

using a pillow block
IMG_2959.jpg

great idea! I have a few concerns...

but just the other day "IRideCustoms" showed me one of his great builds! :mrgreen:

HPIM1465.jpg

one nice ride! and real nice work!

I hope you can share with me some of your insight :D

With new insperation I got this one back out from under the desk. You see, sometimes you need to just wallk away and things will come to you.

So I cleaned up some of the welds and did a mock up with a better front Fork
IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

I hope to pick up a Nexus 4 speed hub tomorrow :mrgreen: I have big plans for this build

FW

Normally, everyone would say "Take your time, do it right".......Do it right, yes, but HURRY UP, because we can't wait to see it done! Looks Fantastic!

iRideCustoms, do you have any pics of that blue and white posted?

I do somewhere but not sure where. Here's a link to a photobucket page that has some build pics on it.

Pictures of iRide Customs' "RAT-ified".... http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/ ... ?start=120

And it is for sale BTW...$500.00 + all shipping. PM me for more info.

Dan

HEy I ride customs,

what did you use for that shifter on the blue bike? it looks like a stem inserted to the shifter?

i'm looking to do something similar..

ya..... is that not cool!!!! :mrgreen:

I sat down over a beer and put some ideas across the table about the bike. Its hard to explain this here Dan, but having layed out all the parts involved.....I now know why you did it left hand drive.... :D nice going I must say...good on ya!

I plan on going one step farther by flipping the rim and place a left hand drive freewheel sproket on the hub :D

A few other mods that will happen with this build is both front and rear disc brakes :mrgreen: oh ya!

I plan on taking this hub and steal the parts that I need so that I'm able to mount the rotor to the hub
IMG_2980.jpg

I can'nt change the Schwinn hub out, do to the width of the rim ...so I will add on to the hub

IMG_2984.jpg

It will take a little machine shop work but I have a plan :D As for the brake caliper, this will mount between the two rear stays. The bracket for this I will have to make...but again I have a plan! and any of you guys can do this. The V brake mounts and the rear chain guard will be removed.

IMG_2982.jpg

so here we go! :mrgreen:

so FW :mrgreen: did you ever work out the offset hub/crank????

tartosuc said:
HEy I ride customs,

what did you use for that shifter on the blue bike? it looks like a stem inserted to the shifter?

i'm looking to do something similar..

It's a Grip Shift and I fabbed the shifter arm out of some old tubing I had laying around

Firewalker...too cool!!! Can you run a lefty on a standard hub that's flipped? Are you planning on combining the 2 hubs somehow?

Dan

yes I did :mrgreen: thanks and credit goes to "IRide" this will work out cool! I'm stoked about this.

Its a shame a customers car comes in this weekend :( but I need the money..... its a 38 chev sedan. I can do a post on interior work if you guys wish?

I will be sure to show all the pics as I build this UCWT :D

Iride asked
Can you run a lefty on a standard hub that's flipped

you sure can...This is a BMX trick.....Some of the BMX guys were able to slide better to the other side so they wanted to change the drive to help this and industry helped out by making a left hand drive freewheel sproket :mrgreen:

Are you planning on combining the 2 hubs somehow?

yup!

FW

so what do you do when you do not have disc brakes! and you want some....

you build your own! :mrgreen:

like you saw above I got a Down Hill hub with a rotor bracket and cut it off!
IMG_2987.jpg

this one is for spinman.... :wink: :wink: (just poking fun man)

you get out your trusty mesuring device! lol

I needed to know what the O/D so that the new bracket could be made to fit
IMG_2988.jpg

Now I'm sorry to you machinist but I do not have the right tool so I used the next best thing.

IMG_2990.jpg

but hey it worked!

IMG_2991.jpg

I'm real happy with it and I would like to thank my neighbour for helping me out! :D

IMG_2992.jpg

There you have it.......disc brakes......phase one done!

IMG_2993.jpg

all that is left is a little sanding and some paint/polish

FW

Back