The Circa 98' Screamo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, silly name for this bike but it makes me think of something emo/screamo kids would have ridden to a basement show in the late 90's. Anyway, got bored this afternoon and threw this together. I haven't had time to build any bikes lately and I was getting anxious to play with some of the parts laying around my garage. Not sure I'll keep the sprocket on this bike... was kind of hoping to use it for something more glorious. My girlfriend has claimed this bike and says she'll be real upset if I put a different sprocket on it. Girls...

335479072.jpg

335479130.jpg

i just gotta ask

when was the term "emo" stolen by these whiney little wanna be punks? last i checked it was a 1970's/80's washinton dc punk movement.

btw love the bike

icyuod2 said:
i just gotta ask

when was the term "emo" stolen by these whiney little wanna be punks? last i checked it was a 1970's/80's washinton dc punk movement.

btw love the bike

yeah... the origin of the term "emo" is debatable and when I went to shows in the mid 90's it was used jokingly to describe kids who wore gas station jackets, had horn rimmed glasses, dyed black hair, tight pants and listened to fast, chaotic hardcore punk music. In those days riding bicycles was part of the style as many "emo" kids would have been into environmentalism and animal rights. Only recently has the word "emo" reached the mainstream to describe angsty suburbanites who shop at hot topic and listen to bad pop punk bands. Add that to wiki!

Far as I know the whole thing was basically started in '86 by Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat when he started bands Embrace and Egg Hunt, both of which are awesome. It pretty much went straight down hill from there, though, and now it's a total joke (at least within the punk rock scene). Practically no one who listens to what passes for "emo" today has ever heard of Fugazi, let alone Egg Hunt... Sorry we sorta hijacked your thread there bro...

Back