The Brown Bobber (Hot Rod)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is getting hard folks, all I know is when you ride the thing in low gear it is hard to pedal and high gear it is easy to pedal!
If I take the top chain off I get one speed with back pedal brakes. With the top chain on, the hub being linked via the double
sprocket at the pedal to the rear wheel, I get three speeds, trust me folks this does happen!

On an earlier fail when I tried to use a three cog front sprocket the thing was too low geared for pedaling as the sprockets
were too big, from stationary start the smaller sprocket set up made this much better!

Maybe this pic from earlier helps show this (note) second pic, the two sprockets are locked together.
p1048180.jpg
p1048171.jpg

I guess how you need to look at this is when you are pedaling both chains do not stop. To be honest I am sort of struggling to
see how it can't work? The hubs speed, high, medium or low must control the speed of the rear wheel as the link via the chain
through the pedals axle does not stop at any point!

Don't get me wrong not angry, actually enjoying the challenge. All I know is when you ride you get three speeds I'm not kidding,
does anyone see how it does work?

I think you may be feeling the 3speed hub change gears, but not experience an actual gear ratio change to the rear wheel. The 3 speed hub would change the driver gear, if it were connected between the front chainring and the rear hub similar to the jackshaft on this trike rear end.

24trike-3.jpg

That said. Great concept for if you could create some power from that hub.

Pushie Pirate said:
This is getting hard folks, all I know is when you ride the thing in low gear it is hard to pedal and high gear it is easy to pedal!
If I take the top chain off I get one speed with back pedal brakes. With the top chain on, the hub being linked via the double
sprocket at the pedal to the rear wheel, I get three speeds, trust me folks this does happen!

On an earlier fail when I tried to use a three cog front sprocket the thing was too low geared for pedaling as the sprockets
were too big, from stationary start the smaller sprocket set up made this much better!

Maybe this pic from earlier helps show this (note) second pic, the two sprockets are locked together.
p1048180.jpg
p1048171.jpg

I guess how you need to look at this is when you are pedaling both chains do not stop. To be honest I am sort of struggling to see
how it can't work? The hubs speed, high, medium or low must control the speed of the rear wheel as the link via the pedals and
doesn't stop at any point! Don't get me wrong not angry, actually enjoying the challenge, does anyone see how it does work?

I totally see that both chains would continue moving because the two middle sprockets are bolted together. How could they not? However, they are just that; in the middle. The only way your gear changer could effect anything would be if it were placed at either end of the line. The middle is passive.

Maybe what you are sensing when you feel it getting harder or easier to pedal as you change gears is drag from the hub.

Try climbing a hill and see if you are feeling it pedal faster and move slower in low gear and the opposite going down hill in high gear.

I'm glad your not angry, I always like a good challenge myself. If I were there next to you and your creation, I would offer up a beer as a bet! :p

Alright, I can put this to rest scientifically for all of us. :!:

We can surely agree that changing gears results in a change in ratio from front to rear, right?

So put it in 1st gear. Mark one tooth on your rear sprocket. Rotate your pedals one revolution and count how many revolutions the rear sprocket turns.
Now put it in 3rd gear. Repeat the process and again count the revolutions.

You should find that the result is identical meaning that there was no effect on the ratio from front to rear.

I still think that it looks really cool! :D

And we have a winner, well done Renaissance Man! You are correct what does happen is
the resistance is less at the pedals because of the hubs different gearing. So the feeling
of lower and higher gears is a deception, it feels easier to pedal in low gear due to this!

Phew am I glad that was sorted, lots of clever people on this forum, thanks!

Pushie Pirate said:
And we have a winner, well done Renaissance Man! You are correct what does happen is
the resistance is less at the pedals because of the hubs different gearing. So the feeling
of lower and higher gears is a deception, it feels easier to pedal in low gear due to this!

What did I win? :mrgreen:

The Renaissance Man said:
Pushie Pirate said:

You win the beer you bet earlier now here is the problem how do I get it from me to you
across the Pacific? All good thanks for your contribution good to get people involved and
thinking about stuff!

Pushie Pirate said:
The Renaissance Man said:
Pushie Pirate said:

You win the beer you bet earlier now here is the problem how do I get it from me to you
across the Pacific? All good thanks for your contribution good to get people involved and
thinking about stuff!

Cool! I'll work an a solution to that whole "Pacific Problem" thing. :mrgreen:

bike2112 said:
Let's not forget how cool this build is in the first place. I feel bad for asking the original question, but this is definately one sweet build!!!!!!!

Don't feel bad no way my man, like I said good to get people thinking and commenting
as well. Thanks for the comments, heaps of people ask lots of questions about this bike,
something you definitely don't see every day!

She's a bit of a freak!

Okay I am calling the gearing of this one a fail, unique and it works but
the Sturmy hub sticks out and I keep scratching the inside of my leg on
the thing! So moved the three speed to a derailer style moved the shifter
and different bars, problem solved and bit simpler look!
p4239285.jpg
p4239371.jpg

p4239281.jpg
p4239374.jpg

p4239369.jpg
p4239379.jpg

Latest posts

Back