The Alumacruiser...Fini! (for now)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this seat and tool bag at the local K-Mart and thought "that'd look good on my aluminum bike". One thing lead to another, and this is the result.

The bike is a Pacific MTB I bought about 10 years ago at Toyr-R-Us (on sale for around $100) to take on vacation to the Outer Banks. I never rode it much after that, since the original tires seem to have been spec'd for maximum possible rolling resistance (you had to pedal the .... thing downhill) and it was miserable to ride.

Anyway, I put those Kenda 838 tires on it this year, and it became a nice bike to ride, so it continues to evolve. The rack and handlebars are off my old Sears Tourer. The only thing that really took any work was fabbing a front mount for the rack, and a bracket for the stem shifters (it originally had grip shifters) . This was also my first experience of building cables.

ac1.jpg

ac2.jpg

Re: The Alumacruiser...

Nice bike. The seat and bag are a nice touch. Anything that helps one ride better is worth the effort.

Looks good, I like it! Brown leather and aluminum is a nice colour match! :) If I was to make just one more change to the bike it would be to put on a shorter stem for the handlebars. I think that could improve what's already a nice looking bike! :)

I like what you did with it. Interesting bike.

Galtbacken said:
If I was to make just one more change to the bike it would be to put on a shorter stem for the handlebars. I think that could improve what's already a nice looking bike! :)

Thanks! That's a possibility (although I like the control relationships on it now). I do have some more ideas; I think the fork that's on it would make a nice base for a home-built springer.

I bought the same seat at Wal-Mart too, but didn't get the tool bag, yet. I've been looking for a set of brown grips to match. Your grips look like they match the seat well. Where did you get them?

If you like how the bike feels and handles then maybe it's better to leave the stem as it is. :)
loudboys said:
I do have some more ideas; I think the fork that's on it would make a nice base for a home-built springer.
Go for it!!! :D

bikesntrikes said:
I've been looking for a set of brown grips to match. Your grips look like they match the seat well. Where did you get them?

I got them on the handlebars. All you have to do is find a 1980 Sears 3-speed lightweight tourer. ;-)

Galtbacken said:
If I was to make just one more change to the bike it would be to put on a shorter stem for the handlebars.

I've found a creative solution to make that look better. I should have something to show you in a couple of days.

I'll even give you a clue. If you go to the "Other Talk" forum, you'll find some pictures of my Iron Butt Ninja 250. There's something on the front of it that you normally have to purchase in pairs, and will look good on, and (with some modification) also be a functional addition to the bicycle.

I could almost hear a big choir "aaaaaaaAAAAAAAH" when I saw the headlight in the hand of the Buddha! :lol:

Re: The Alumacruiser...finished!

I finished it up in time for Rick's show (Peddlers Swap Meet).

acd1.jpg

Galtbacken, I told you I had the solution for the long gooseneck!

acd2.jpg

acddrive.jpg

Forte single-speed conversion.

acdcockpit.jpg

Cockpit view; the lamp has a 9 led 12v H3 bulb wired to a battery pack in the tool roll.

jensbajasc.jpg

The next project. This is my wife's 1987 Murray Baja SC (Street Cycle) I bought for her right after we got married in '87. This will be just a mechanical project, as I think the Miami Vice era colors and graphics are neat (what can I say? It was cool back when I was!!).

She's never liked shifting the derailleur, so it's either going to get a singlespeed also, or the old 3-speed S-A coaster brake from my Sears tourer, depending on what I find when I pull the back wheel and see what kind of freewheel it has. Either way, it'll be fairly simple since it has horizontal dropouts. Oh, and a comfier seat too, since she's bitched about this one since she got the bike.

Latest posts

Back