thats the last can of rustoleum i'll ever purchase!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their spray cans are lousy, especially their red/brown primer! Always clogs up. But, their paint in a regular can is actually really good. I had an engine lift at the old house that I repainted with a brush, and it sat outside all the time, but didn't even fade! Also I own a 74 F100 that the prev. owner sprayed with sunrise red RO with a compressor & spray gun! It looks very good for an amateur job, though it'd look much better if he sanded the old paint better and took the decal stripes off! :lol: -Adam

I've painted a lot of rattlecan paint and I can tell you from my experience that all have their issues.

I've sworn by Duplicolor for years. Always had good result, fast dry times, and good finishes. BUT!!! I had a can of white almost destroy a couple weeks worth of sandblast-prime-sand-prime-paint-wait work, by spitting as I was finishing the last coat. Yes, on a bike frame, one that I eventually got straightened out and looking nice, but it almost made me scrap the whole job.

Rustoleum's big problem for me is the VERY slow dry time. I use their rusty metal primer quite a bit, and it's different, and better, than the regular gloss paint. The dry time is quicker and it's pretty easy to work with.

The Rustoleum gloss paints look great and seem to wear well, when they're finally dry. I've had some come out with VERY long dry times.... 8 hours or more... and it doesn't make sense to me. Weather conditions seem to not matter, and in cool or warm weather, they always have the issue. That said, I've used their Hunter Green on a lot of my "bike Share" program bikes, and once dry, it's pretty good and tough. The long times to dry, though, really hurt the prospect of painting a frame and finishing building the bike on the same day. You WILL get it on your hands, and leave fingerprints in the paint if you handle it with less than 12 hrs cure time.

Krylon does promise short dry times, and they deliver- sort of. A second coat over "Dry" but not fully cured Krylon can result in crazing. I think it stays soft below the surface for quite a while. Also the finish of Krylon can vary. Seem to be affected by humidty more.

With all the paints, patience, preparation, and proper application are the most important thing. Get familiar with the product you're using before you try it on the expensive parts.

--Rob

I've painted a lot of rattlecan paint and I can tell you from my experience that all have their issues.

I've sworn by Duplicolor for years. Always had good result, fast dry times, and good finishes. BUT!!! I had a can of white almost destroy a couple weeks worth of sandblast-prime-sand-prime-paint-wait work, by spitting as I was finishing the last coat. Yes, on a bike frame, one that I eventually got straightened out and looking nice, but it almost made me scrap the whole job.

Rustoleum's big problem for me is the VERY slow dry time. I use their rusty metal primer quite a bit, and it's different, and better, than the regular gloss paint. The dry time is quicker and it's pretty easy to work with.

The Rustoleum gloss paints look great and seem to wear well, when they're finally dry. I've had some come out with VERY long dry times.... 8 hours or more... and it doesn't make sense to me. Weather conditions seem to not matter, and in cool or warm weather, they always have the issue. That said, I've used their Hunter Green on a lot of my "bike Share" program bikes, and once dry, it's pretty good and tough. The long times to dry, though, really hurt the prospect of painting a frame and finishing building the bike on the same day. You WILL get it on your hands, and leave fingerprints in the paint if you handle it with less than 12 hrs cure time.

Krylon does promise short dry times, and they deliver- sort of. A second coat over "Dry" but not fully cured Krylon can result in crazing. I think it stays soft below the surface for quite a while. Also the finish of Krylon can vary. Seem to be affected by humidty more.

With all the paints, patience, preparation, and proper application are the most important thing. Get familiar with the product you're using before you try it on the expensive parts.

--Rob

The reason Rustoleum has a long drying time is that it contains fish oil. Rustoleum never really dries out completely because of the oil and that is their secret ingredient that prevents rust. That's what I was told anyway. Urban legend?? What you say about Krylon drying slow with heavy coats makes sense. I usually paint two coats. First coat consists of several light coats put on slowly. Days later I wet sand and put on the second coat. I load the second one up pretty heavy...maybe a bit too heavy for quick drying. Gary

Another paint that you can try is MONTANA paint, harder to come by in some areas, but it is designed for graffiti art-yes ART, not vandalism. They are designed for ultra even application, and quick dry. Montana has colors for days... with primer and clear coat. Because it is designed for quick dry/application, it cures in about a minute, BUT it is SUPER flammable as a result. They also sell different sized tips (fine line to 4 finger 'fat cap'). I highly recommend them, there are a few different levels of quality as well. All good, however, MONTANA BLACKS are the Primo, then golds, then regular (all of which are mixable without crackle). Btw, for those of you in humid areas, it will take a little longer to cure, but still half the time of any other brand. My last build was done in MONTANA's 'grass green' and 'black' viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48995&p=470184#p470184

I'll second that about Montana cans.
I've only bought one can so far but, plan to buy many more...
There color choices are FANTASTIC!

Nothtng for Nothing...(I like Rustoleum) but anyway...

Bust open that empty Rustoleum rattle can and get the glass marble out of it.

I got a jar full of them.

Uncle Stretch said:
I would imagine , if you put the same rant into a letter to Krylon ,that they would send you some replacement paint. I griped to Pepsi on their 2 liters not having fizz. They sent me bunches of coupons for free product and told me they were sorry. Lots better to tell them than us. I hate bad paint. :x :x :x

What Uncle Stretch said, just call the number on the can and tell them what happened, they will ask for the number on the can and send you a coupon for another can or two, yes, it will still be the same brand of paint, but try one with a different can style, those are problematic, I only ever buy spray paint with the simple button style nozzle and when I finish a can that had a good nozzle I spray it out and save it, have a pile of them and often need them, I'm sure you do the same.

Funny you mentioned Pepsi Stretch, I was leaving a Piggly Wiggly with a 12 pack of Pepsi Max in my hand, the paper handle on the box ripped and it fell, busting one or two cans as the rest rolled all over the parking lot in front of cars, stopping traffic people laughing. I can laugh at myself pretty good so I called the number on the box and told the lady my embarrassing story, she sent me out enough coupons for 3 12 packs.

I've only used Rustolium once, it wasn't necessarily bad but just didn't have the luster I was looking for. The color was flat. No depth at all. Just flat dull color with no life to it. Ever since I am a die hard Dupli-color guy. Especially the Duplicolor Color match series automotive paint. Looks great, easy to spray, adjustable fan tip, and the color is amazing. Also very versatile when sprayed over silver or gold metalflake to create candy finishes, or to enhance the depth. My only complaints about it is it's kinda thin so you have to spray multiple coats and let it build up slowly and it takes a little longer to dry but it is worth it, and it is a little on the pricey side at $6-$7 for a small can. But the quality is worth the price and a little goes a long way.

X100. I had bought a can of rustoleum primer to primer up my rims. It worked fine on the first wheel but on my second one instead of spraying it came out splattering all over the .... place with very little pressure. Rustoleum is poo.

One thing that does help is if you take the can and put it in warm water for about 10 minutes before you spray it. Helps it flow much nicer.

Crap, those are interesting stories.

I would like to ask if using Rustolem, Duplicolor and PPG paint that I have to mix will work together which I was thinking of going to an automotive painter to paint for me since I haven't painted multiple colors together before?

I sure dont have the experience of many posters here, but Krylon has been good to me, as in user friendly with acceptable finish. I keep my paint in a warm place, match paint and surface temps, and shake that can for a good long time.
Ive had more Rustoleum splotchy paint regardless, especially on follow up sprays. Ive pretty well decided to get everything lined up and ready to go so I use most of the can in the first go, if thats the paint Im using. The rest of the can gets used for utility work. Once it gives me fits it goes, no more messing about trying to get the last bit (Im gonna start going for the marbles though!).

I used Rustoleum on my last build. Not too happy, one can of primer didn't appear to have enough hardener in it. I stayed the consistancy of playdough, even after three days in above 80* weather in full sun! What a mess to remove, not to mention having to start over. I did, however, have good luck with the hammered paint.

yoothgeye said:
Uncle Stretch said:
I would imagine , if you put the same rant into a letter to Krylon ,that they would send you some replacement paint. I griped to Pepsi on their 2 liters not having fizz. They sent me bunches of coupons for free product and told me they were sorry. Lots better to tell them than us. I hate bad paint. :x :x :x

What Uncle Stretch said, just call the number on the can and tell them what happened, they will ask for the number on the can and send you a coupon for another can or two, yes, it will still be the same brand of paint, but try one with a different can style, those are problematic, I only ever buy spray paint with the simple button style nozzle and when I finish a can that had a good nozzle I spray it out and save it, have a pile of them and often need them, I'm sure you do the same.

Funny you mentioned Pepsi Stretch, I was leaving a Piggly Wiggly with a 12 pack of Pepsi Max in my hand, the paper handle on the box ripped and it fell, busting one or two cans as the rest rolled all over the parking lot in front of cars, stopping traffic people laughing. I can laugh at myself pretty good so I called the number on the box and told the lady my embarrassing story, she sent me out enough coupons for 3 12 packs.
I did that with Krylon and they sent me a check for the paint and the decals I got from Memory Lane. Got a bad batch of clear.. even so I dont think I'll be testing my luck with krylon anymore.

All this does make me wonder if a modification of methodology is wise; ie, for something important maybe we should be doing a test spray from that can before hitting the 'bike'?
I remember an old painter friend, years ago, who had a cardboard 'test panel' he would spray with his fancy, expensive shop gun until he had what he wanted.

I have had mixed experiences with rustoleum. Every time I have tried glossy colors it has been a complete mess (temps were all consistent, RO primer was used). But flat or satin colors worked fine. However, the finish wasn't good enough for me to continue spending money on Rustoleum. If I am going with basic black, white or gray, I use Walmart brand. If it is on a nicer bike I use Duplicolor laquer, since you can recoat whenever you want and as many times as you want without lifting or wrinkling. However I recently did have some issues with duplicolor. It was after they switched to a different and smaller can, and I suspect humidity may have been an issue. I am now thinking of getting PPG from the paint shop near me. They will mix or match any color you want into a 17oz aerosol can for $17. It sounds good but I have never worked with PPG before, and I'll need to do more research on primer, clearcoating , etc, before I go investing in it. On the upside, 17oz is more than enough to cover a bike frameset.

Rustoleum used to be a good product. I suspect compliance with EPA Bull is the reason for all this crummy paint.
I used to use Rustoleum for any sort of odd job painting around the house, or to spray any small parts that wouldn't clean up nicely. Not anymore. The last can I bought blew chunks. Literally. I used it to spray the plastic chainguard on my Dyno project. Not only did the paint squirt out in blobs and drools, when I went the next day to apply a second coat, all the paint wrinkled and lifted. I had to start over from scratch. :x

JWM

Latest posts

Back