THAT "NOT SO FRIENDLY" SCHWINN FORUM STRIKES AGAIN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well..........i do have one positive thing to say about the pacific site :shock:
if it wasnt for it i probably wouldnt have found this site(thanks for sticking the link in youre sig. there ratrod :mrgreen: )........

sensor said:
well..........i do have one positive thing to say about the pacific site :shock:
if it wasnt for it i probably wouldnt have found this site(thanks for sticking the link in youre sig. there ratrod :mrgreen: )........

I agree, thats the only good thing I ever got from there!

I don't mind the Schwinn forum. It's fun to go there and correct all the misinformation the "experts" post. :mrgreen: Gary

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok so I'm highly infected with travel at the moment ....but if I was to have the same problem that yall are having I would follow the hard and fast rule that Schwinn's ain't all that,and if you have a collection thats Schwinn Free It will save you alot of aggravation. They are just like Harley Davidson people in that there is only one bike in the world, and any piece of junk part I have with Schwinn on it makes it worth alot....sold my Harley too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . So save your ruffeled feathers it just my opinion and probably not worth much. :roll: see ya.
I agree with you Stretch. I've never understood what is so cool about them... Especially since they have all their own special parts, and in my opinion, they are like a dime a dozen. Just like a 57 Chevy or a Fender Stratocaster. They are cool in their own right, and our culture wouldn't be the same without them, but they aren't my cup of tea. I agree with you on the Harley bit too. I own a 77 Yamaha XS650 that has been stretched and hardtailed(now I just gotta put it back together...) that is more custom than any new HD with all the chrome dealer add-ons that the average HD I see running around here has. Not that it's better, it's just better for me. I can appreciate the Harleys, and 57 chevys and Stratocasters and Schwinns, and am happy for all the people who own them and think they are the bee's knees, And I can appreciate that my Yamaha and my Spaceliners and my Moserite copy and my vintage BMW may not be the best choice or coolest choice for others. Variety is the spice of life guys. And Halelujah for that! :mrgreen:

Just for fun I need to start a Walmart bike restoration forum....."na thats not correct catchup on the chainguard of the 98 Lil Princess 16 inch from Store #682 thats the era when Nick would build the bikes after his Wendy's burger" :lol: :lol:

ahhh yes... the schwinn forum. i remember the last time this went around. i did have a few schwinn related questions reguarding my 62' american (HD) tht they helped shed some light on, but going there is just plain... sad. and i feel unless i have a schwinn specific question, i don't need to go there. maybe we should flood them with schwinn rats, customized, chopped, streeeeeched and tweeked out, showing them that we put OUR OWN touch on a great american classic and there is absolulty NOTHING WRONG with that! maybe, just maybe somewhere deep inside they realize since schwinn sold out to pac cycle co., that bullit proof schwinn reputation went down quicker than you can say... pseudoschwinn.

Gold Street Customs said:
Just for fun I need to start a Walmart bike restoration forum....."na thats not correct catchup on the chainguard of the 98 Lil Princess 16 inch from Store #682 thats the era when Nick would build the bikes after his Wendy's burger" :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't see the thrill in Schwinn other than they normally sell better than most anything else on C-list. I find them on junker trucks all the time, clean them up and post them.....(6 in the last month)......they are nothing special to me, I'd rather find a Raleigh, Phillips, Hercules, Western Flyer, Sonic Flyer, J.C. Higgins, Columbia, Harley Davidson, or Elgin. I got more excited finding my spray bombed and mostly non-original AMF Hercules than I did finding any of my almost perfect condition Schwinns.

I find plenty to like amongst the old US and Japanese "approved" Schwinns, although S-7 rims and 27 tpi cranks are for the birds. As for the forum, not worth my time.

Yeah I like them but to me it's just another bike. I can say they do have better chrome than any other bike, Schwinn chrome has ALWAYS cleaned up for me. Others not so much.

I love Schwinns and I do own a few of them but they are not correct (except my 79 stingray). I recently bought a bunch of Schwinn parts from a guy and when I went to sell them on ebay or the schwinn forum I got tons of harassing emails from "schwinnperts" asking me what years of parts or what parts I had listed wrong etc. I DON'T FREAKING CARE WHATS RIGHT AND WRONG IN YOUR LITTLE SCHWINN BOOK. I'm a "bike guy" not a "schwinn guy" I like whatever is cool. Don't get me wrong I love the rare all original bikes but I will not put myself above another person just to prove them wrong especially on something as stupid (I mean that in a loving way) as bikes!

I love them but at the end of the day these are just bicycles and should never be taken as serious as some people do. This is my hobby it simply keeps me from going insane! BTW I love this forum!

yes they there are some pretentious snobs there, yes some of them have incredible collections of concours bikes,... BUT, I have met some real nice genuine people on there, Rat Rod being one, and like many of you, it got me here... which feels like home now.. :mrgreen:

Case in point:

Original post:
I picked up this 76 Lime Varsity a few months back - frame is a little small and I prefer an upright riding position so I had toyed with the bars - flipped them up, put on straight brake levers and new cloth tape. Was a big improvement for me but still "not quite right" and some might say odd looking!
I thought more about it and decided to break her down again, flip the bars 180 degrees, lose the tape and add grips.
Kind of a Suburban look now and the grip position is very similar to that of a mid 50's middleweight (albeit a bit narrower)
Bike feels amazing now - the grips allow me to "pull up" when pedalling hard and provide a super comfortable riding position. Still a bit of an odd custom look but better I think.
What do ya think? First pic is the old setup.

FIRST reply:
Personally I think it is stupid to put drop bars on upside down. If you need higher bars put on higher bars. In the 1970s when you saw a 10 speed like that it was the sign that a dork owned the bike. I am coming down hard on you and really don't intend to. Roger

http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/foru ... hp?t=85937

schwinn, murray, huffy, old, new whatever. i don't care and my sawzall can't read....

...and even if it could it would probaly pretend not to. suzzzy's crafty that way.

Hello all.. I'm new here and have been on other sites that have to do with my other hooby and you always seem to have those ''correct purist restoration people'' who don't like anything changed. I am with you guys, I think if i was to take my schwinn racer and strip it, throw some apes on it, and spraybomb it that you guys (or most) would say '' Cool, Do what you want with it'' And I would.
I always like to get advise from someone with an open mind and not from people who think one brand or one way is the only way. I have never been on that site, I'm sure there a knowlegable people there. But you can be positive without much effort. I like what I see here and i think I will enjoy talking to people who cut,splice,fabricate,weld,mix parts and still have time to answer a question or two.

Thanks again for a great site.

Back