Testbed for my RRB Photo Contest Entry - Whatcha Think??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
It was a beautiful day in Savannah, so I took a non cell phone camera with me to try my hand at taking a photo worthy of the RRB Photo Contest.

Let me know if you think any of these are worthy.

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8496.jpg

IMG_8490.jpg

IMG_8489.jpg

IMG_8485.jpg

Re: Testbed for my RRB Photo Contest Entry

I like the second one myself it doesn't look so busy

If I lived in Savannah, you would probably see my bike parked in front of Moon River Pub a lot.
Have you tried out that suspension on the cobbles of River Street?

Keep trying with the chess board sceen. I think if you change the angle and get the background objects out of the picture it would look better. Also less light, dawn or sundown if you can.

clamdigger said:
Keep trying with the chess board sceen. I think if you change the angle and get the background objects out of the picture it would look better. Also less light, dawn or sundown if you can.
or a cloudy day , the shadows funk it up

Thanks for all of the tips guys!
I am not much of a photographer.
Most of my photos from my rides have shown off the sites of Savannah, but the trick for a good bike calendar photo is show off the bike and not the background. I still have a lot to learn.

How about this one, if I found the original that doesn't have the FlexLiner logo on it?

aIMG_8134.jpg

Houndog said:
That last one is nice!!!!

Thanks, not sure if it is right for a calendar though.

Went for another Savannah ride yesterday with a regular camera. Here is what I came up with. Am I getting any better?

In front of an 1817 tombstone from our Colonial cemetary.
IMG_8538.jpg

In front of some other 1800's tombstones
IMG_8536.jpg

In front of a very cool old Bentley
IMG_8531.jpg

Beat up old brick wall
IMG_8529.jpg

Savannah River bridge, port, and paddlewheel boat backdrop
IMG_8525.jpg

Cobblestone and Ballaststone wall on one of the ramps down to River Street.
IMG_8523.jpg

Steps down to River Street
IMG_8522.jpg

Courthouse corner
IMG_8518.jpg

Marble and brick
IMG_8515.jpg

Re: Testbed for my RRB Photo Contest Entry - More Photos

I like the 2nd tomb stones one and the brick wall one best!

Thanks. I still think that most of my photos have backgrounds that are too busy or not contrasting enough with the bike.

Any more feedback from photographers in the group??????

#6 but the the picture on the bike front to back vs back to front.. i like that one...or the brick wall.

jaysmo said:
#6 but the the picture on the bike front to back vs back to front.. i like that one...or the brick wall.

When you say #6, do you mean this one in front of the River Street ramp ballastone walls?
In this photo the handlebars are kind of lost in the stones. Maybe if I angle the bike so that it is angeld front to back, it may work better.

IMG_8523.jpg

I think you're correct on the backgrounds, maybe try something like I noticed with Bighit's photos he wets down some pavement to darken it up and give it texture then just shoots against that. You can probably work that with other mediums as well. Chrome might work good with a setting sun right on it.

kingfish254 said:
Thanks. I still think that most of my photos have backgrounds that are too busy or not contrasting enough with the bike.

Any more feedback from photographers in the group??????

Nice photos!
I think auto focus or a tripod would help you quite a bit. Let the camera's features work for you.
If you have a delay setting, set it between 2-4 seconds to let the camera auto focus. Keep the flash on auto, also,
the photo size shouldn't be all the way up to the full resolution, keep it at 1600 max or even better 1280 X 960.
Most of the photos will need to be re-sized for web anyway so keep them at the lowest resolution you can get away with.
The larger the aperture size the more it magnifies the human 'shake' factor. That's my two cents and a half pence!
Happy shooting! 8)

Depending on the type of camera you are using, you can adjust the aperture to get a shallower depth of field which will slightly blur the background putting more emphasis on the bike. Apertures are marked like f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, etc. The smaller number F2.8, the bigger the diameter of the aperture, the shallower the depth of field. Another option is to move the bike further away from the background....or just swing by my studio in Dayton and I'll shoot some pics for you!

Did I ever mention I used to be a motorsports photographer and I teach photography part time at the local college? :lol:

kingfish254 said:
jaysmo said:

When you say #6, do you mean this one in front of the River Street ramp ballastone walls?
In this photo the handlebars are kind of lost in the stones. Maybe if I angle the bike so that it is angeld front to back, it may work better.

IMG_8523.jpg
yupp this is it ...and the handels bars do get lost in the wall .. a front angle pic would be nice... i like this one though alot. the other one was the beat up old brick wall as you call it..lol.

Thanks for all of the tips guys. My camera is a Canon Powershot something or nother. I have just been using it with the standard Auto mode. I'll see if I can change some of the settings and play around.

Took a lot of shots yesterday, but I think this might be the one I enter.
What do you think? I may have to go back and re-shoot this. The bike doesn't seem to be focused as much as it could be.

IMG_8627.jpg

Back