Tell me your JB Weld stories?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I tried to search, but the search engine on here omits "JB" every time...

I'm planning on putting some flate stock with a hole drilled into it onto a worksman frame to function as a kickstand plate. I wanna just JB it on there, but I'm not sure it'll be strong enough. Anyone have any opinions, or stories (good or bad) about using JB Weld on a bicycle?

-rob

If it is metal to metal and sans paint, I see know reason why it would not hold.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

my build off bike from last year has some jb weld...

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0456JPG2.jpg

DSC_0077JPG2.jpg

looks good!

I'm plannin on bare-metal-on-bare-metal, let it cure, than powdercoat. It really won't be under any stress, beyond the weight of the bike being held up by the centerstand....

thanks for the pic, Bendix! Any one else wanna show off their JB'd bikes?

-rob

you wrote THAN POWERCOAT. Did you mean THEN POWDERCOAT? If you are planning on Powder Coating it and it has JB Weld on it. That will not work. The JB weld will not hold up to the 400 degree temp that is needed for Powder Coating.

Herman,
I'd thought about that, but the JBweld site says it can take up to 500F...

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php/

I'm thinking that the ten minute cure-time at 390F should be ok, although i do worry about the JB gassing-out during cure. This is for the standard JB weld, with the 2 tubes. I think the quickie 1-tube version would melt and boil during cure. Still, i did some research and found this thread on some sort of motorcycle forum:
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90877

Seems to me that it might look ugly, but i'm not too worried about ugliness on the lower side of the chainstays where they meet the kickstand plate...I just want to keep the rust at bay and feel safe that the "weld" will hold up the weight of the bike when it's on-stand...

In any case, I'll see what my powder guy thinks...

BlackJack said:
Can't you just take it to a muffler shop and have it welded?

I could, but i worry that bicycle tubes are (relatively) thin-walled, and it may do more harm then good, depending on the muffler guy's skills and how careful he is...

Bicycle808 said:
BlackJack said:
Can't you just take it to a muffler shop and have it welded?

I could, but i worry that bicycle tubes are (relatively) thin-walled, and it may do more harm then good, depending on the muffler guy's skills and how careful he is...

maybe ask your LBS about any local framebuilders?

i did the JB weld so i could easily reuse the frame someday by removing the support along with some sanding...

:wink:

Its NOT a metal product, it wont take a electrostatic charge. The JB will be non-coated.
I use the product in emergency repairs of bolt bosses and things like that,in an industrial shop. Its an amazing product,and buys me time to keep the production line running while I order a new part. Looks dont matter. Paint your frame,it WILL hold paint. Im 99% sure it wont take powder.

I appreciate everyone's advice, but I'm more worried about the bond holding up to repeated use of a centerstand with a heavy bicycle. I feel very confident that JB weld will take powder, as folks on powdercoat forums and moto forums have pics of stuff that they powdered over JB, and it all looks great except for some metallics (often the reason for the thread...troubleshooting the bad metal-flake powder over the JB). It's kind of a moot point anyway, as the JB will not be at the surface at all, once i sand it. I'm planning to basically glue a flat piece of steel to the underside of the chainstays just aft of the BB shell. Any squirtage will be thoroughly sanded. I don't think the PC will be an issue, b/c the JBWeld won't be exposed...and even if it were, ppl powder over JB frequently.
http://www.powder365.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2093 an example

I mostly don't want to go to all of this trouble, ride my bike to work, and watch the kickstand plate fall off as i try to put the bike up on the stand, is all. At 1800psi of adhesion, I'm probably worrying overmuch.

edited postscript: Bendix, I know the local framebuilders, but i wanna keep things CHEEP. that's how i roll. Bilenky ain't cheep.

I use jb weld putty quite a bit, but usually for filling dents or imperfections. I tried it once to hold a chainguard bracket on, and it fell off repeatedly. There was definite bare metal contact on both parts, and I even filed the areas to give it some bite, but it never held. On the other hand, I used it to reinstall a stud for the oil cooler on a VW block and it held great.It worked better under stress than without. Welding the kickstand on should be very easy. I'm not even a good welder and I've done it with excellent results. Any splatter can be removed before PC. If you find someone who can braze that would be ideal. I personally wouldn't take the chance with JB, mainly because when the bike is upright and the stand is supporting the weight, it is difficult to tell at what exact paint the bulk of the weight will be supported relevant to the JB joint, and I'd say the risk is pretty high of failure, especially with repetitive use.

It's an old thread, but I fixed my tire pump handle today and I took a couple pics to illustrate my use of jb weld in the repair. The plastic was molded around a steel nut that threads on the pump shaft. It cracked in half and the handle came off the pump leaving half the plastic part around the steel nut.
air pump 2.JPG
I found a screw type hose clamp that would fit the od of the broken plastic handle. I then applied jb weld to the broken surfaces of the plastic parts and the edge of the steel nut that came loose from the plastic. Finally, I slid the hose clamp over the repair tightened it and reassembled.
air pump 1.JPG
This illustrates how I try to use jb weld - I know it is strong stuff, but I always try to combine it with a mechanical fastener such as a clamp or screw bonded in.

If you are using centerstand and have room for a kickstand plate, why not just use the sandwich method? Most kickstands come with the top plate, but you can always order this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYMKEY/ref=s9_dcacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_1

That's what i ended up doing, about 4 years ago. (This thread is ancient and recently resurrected.) :grin:

@jamesdart thanks for the offer, but i just kept it simple; i prefer plates to samitches, but i just make sure i keep the stand's bolt tight enough, without overtightening. It's been working without issues....

just to be clear: i just used the regular hardware, no jb weld...it's been good for 4 years, but it drives me nuts when i see bikes with crushed stays from stands.
Posted this on macro Monday this week of a 50's hawthorne kickstand plate that is integral and welded on to the frame. I am surprised more manufacturers did not do this to protect the stays..skpc
IMG_4317_zpsycfcb7rp.jpg~original

Back