Tanks for the memories...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1949 Columbia, that I'm hoping to start putting together sometime soon. Its a straighbar type frame and I was wondering,
Is the tank peculiar to Columbia models alone or were they used on other bikes? All I have is a terribly badly cast fibreglass tank that really does look as bad as that sounds!! I'd like to try and find the correct one as I'm wanting to do a resto/mild custom type job.

Any info/ help gratefully received :mrgreen:

Still a very cool bike. From what I have heard they were made pretty well. Looks like the proper tank is the winged tank similar to the one I have on Firewing.

Awesome bike, I'd say throw a Nexus 7 speed hub in the back, a suicide shift, and ride the wheels off of it.

Thanks for the replies. to be honest thats what I thought it was when i first got it (a 1980's RX-5). However once I go to looking closely it appears to be a bit of a mish-mash of bits! The chainguard and rack are the repro ones. However the frame, and forks are original. The serial no (on the dropout) looks to be 1949 (according to the columbia serial no. site). I couldn't quite figure out at first why some bits looked new and others were pitted with age. Anyway the whole thing is going to get stripped as the paint is awful (no primer, no undercoat, awful fininsh etc). The wheels are modern and will be ditched for something more appropriate. Do tanks for these frames ever come up? I'm loathed to buy a shiney one (as it'll get stripped and repainted anyway) but any leads on a ratty original would be great. :wink:

Back