Tank plate question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of including a sheet metal tank plate in a build and will begin by making a cardboard template. What's the best way to get a well-fitting template, say with about 1/8" of clearance from the frame all around? I thought I could trace around the inside of the tubes as a rough start and then trimming to get the final shape and size would work, but I'd like to hear success stories on this so I don't reinvent the process unnecessarily if possible.

Thanks,

Cliff

I did it the way you suggested. But you could also use 4 loose strips of cartboard and do an 'inline' of the frame. That will be the outline of your tank. Start by hanging a horizontal strip folowed by taping another piece (broader strip) in the downtube area as well as the headtube area. Most important thing is the angles. Then connect the bottom with another strip and you have your template. Try this out first on another piece of cartboard. Finetune if nessecary and trace on metal or wood or plastic or whatever.
Good luck.

Back