Tank for '41 Elgin?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Educate me. What tank or tanks work with this frame? Im set on getting one.

Elgin.jpg

Will this actually work? I dont know enough and dont trust garbage multi named listings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230884732439?ss ... 1423.l2648

That tank is correct for certain Elgins produced by Westfield/Columbia but not correct for yours. Your Elgin is a Murray-built bicycle which would feature the peaked tank. There was a version which extended beyond the seat tube, as well as one that ended flat at the seat tube. There were also differences in the years as the 38-39 had a straight seat tube while the 40-41 had the curved seat tube. These tanks are identical except for the seat tube openings, so you've got to make sure to get the correct one for your bike to ensure that it fits correctly.

Here's a picture of my '39 so you know what to look for. Again, what you want will be for the curved seat tube but this is just a visual reference.

DSCF4144.jpg

Yes that Tank is for a 38/39 with the straight seat post. It is also not the long tank that passes the post if you look it is the short tank that stops at the seat post, so it would not meet the seat post on a 40/41 it is just a little shorter. I would have to measure my 38/9 against my 40/1 for exact number but the 38/9 is a little shorter.
Wayde

panelman said:
Yes that Tank is for a 38/39 with the straight seat post. It is also not the long tank that passes the post if you look it is the short tank that stops at the seat post, so it would not meet the seat post on a 40/41 it is just a little shorter. I would have to measure my 38/9 against my 40/1 for exact number but the 38/9 is a little shorter.
Wayde
I agree, the tank on the CABE would fit your frame opening but would have a gap at the rear adjacent to the seat tube.
Your bike needs the long tank.

So thats the tank I posted. I see the back also doesnt look so nice and the front is to round to match really as well. Thanks.

On a side note, that bike said it sold at $1400!!!!! Wth? That seems nuts to me, that bike looks like junk to me (to sell for that price), look at the paint on the spokes, to many other things to even want to point out. But is that actually a old kickstand? I know it should have a drop stand. Look at the feet at the bottom of it, sorta neat.

meatwad1 said:

That guy is the total Hinkmaster. At least he is the master of combining parts that don't belong and don't even fit, repainting everything nice and shiny (with just a bit of overspray and a hint of underlying rust showing through) and then offering the finished product on eBay with claims that it is all original.

The tank on the eBay bike is for a Westfield built bike and you are looking for a Murray-Ohio tank to fit your bike. As noted there are several versions of the M-O gothic tank but only the ones that end behind the seat tube and are designed for a curved seat tube will fit perfectly. the basic stamping for the straight seat tube tank is similar and with some sheet metal work a straight seat tube tank can be modified to fit a curved seat tube frame. I think the difference between the straight and curved seat tube frames would actually make the short version of the tank too long to fit the opening on a curved frame but I haven't tried that fit to be certain.

Does the seat tube end up further forward on the curved compared to the straight then?

I didn't know if that was meatwad1's bike (dont think it is), I wasn't trying to offend someone that was trying to help. But I guess either way when something is so badly misrepresented as that bike its just not ethical. Should be listed as a "custom" ( I use that word lightly).

Not mine, I'm a mix and match guy but no Hinkmaster. I've got the same murray built frame as you do with the curved seat tube. I'm almost positive that the curved seat tube model has a longer top bar than the models with the straight seat tube. Mine I bought with the long tank only to find that the the slot where the seat tube goes through the tank was too far foward and I had to cut some sheet metal back to make it fit properly. This is appossed to the shorter tank that is squared off in the back or the reproduction westfield/ columbia/ elgin badged tanks that are being sold on ebay.

Chances are that if you find the right tank it's going to cost you 200 to 300 bucks today. Personally I think there is an advantage to going tankless because the tank hides a great deal of the unique curvey/ sexy construction of the frame joints which are in fact giant single "lugs".

Edit. Come to think of it I had to cut the tank foward.

I can cut and weld, so for the right price I'd buy a long one for a straight bar.

I found one with pin holes for $225 obo. May contact him to see what he'd actually take. But not at that price.

I prefer a tank.

Back