tandem trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK ,here is aproject I have been thinking about for awhile now. A tandem bike w/ a trike rear. It's a Schwinn trike and a low end tandem. It will be single speed, x large apes. Rear seat will be removed to make way for a flatbed,this will go all the way back to the basket. I want it to kind of look like a stake bed. Will be a good park bike to haul ice chest and lawn chairs. I am thinking that the basket will be used like a trunk, if I can find the right size a bbq grill lid would make a great trunk lid. No colors picked yet, but I doubt that it will be black. I am actually thinking white or light gray and alittle bit of accent color. The trike was 50.00 and the tandem was 40.00 both off of CL. My only other expense to make it rideable will be the apes, but I know it will cost me more ,it always does. 8) The 2nd pic is after the rear was added,this thing is almost 8' long !!!
trike003.jpg

newbuildtrike001.jpg

Surprized Hooch hasn't jump on this! He kept trying to talk me into buildinmg my tandem into a trike. He did actually succeed in doing so, but I never got it done in time for the build off deadline. The weather hasn't cooperated and I haven't gotten all the parts yet. Now you're inspiring me to get back at it as soon as my Detroit Autorama bike is done.

Your tandem looks good so far. I think a cream color with dark brown would really bring it to life! I like the idea of a stake bed look. Maybe consider the color schemes of the old stake trucks from the 40s to 50s. The Kenda Kraze tires have a tread pattern that would look pretty cool for the stakebed truck effect.

I love what you're doing and look forward to it's finish. I may have to steal some ideas from time to time as you progress on!

Wow, that looks good! After looking at this, a bunch of ideas come to mind. I'll say it again, Wow, that looks good!

It looks like the trike axle attaches at the seat stays? There will be a lot of pressure on them with two people aboard, be careful not to lean too much. On the other hand, it would be super cool to see you get it up on two wheels.. :D

This bike is gonna be AWSOME! Been keeping my eyes open for a trike locally.Now I think the 73 Schwinn tandem wants the rearend! :lol: Looking forward to progress pics! :wink:
L8 EM

Thanks for the comments all.This bike will go through a couple of phases. The first it will be painted green so it can be ridden in the St.Paddys Day parade in Phoenix w/ the local Phreaks (sshhh, I haven't asked them yet,lol) After that it will go w/ the final color scheme. The frame for the flatbed will probably be conduit w/ laminate wood strips on top.I am not worried about weight on the seat stays where it attaches, it is also bolted at the dropouts. There will be no passenger, rear seat is removed, just cargo space. There will be a vintage metal ice chest on the rear and if theres enough beer in there to make weight an issue then it is a good thing it has three wheels :shock: Just seen the same model tandem (Crestline) that I bought for 40.00 on CL going for 300.00!! I am very happy :lol:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/bik/577651301.html

OK, I just took this beast out for its maiden voyage. I had chain issuses that I needed to address and put on the apes.Although this bike was not named yet I am seriously thinking of calling it "Death Trap 2000" You would think that with three wheels this thing would be as stable as could be,BUT NOOO!!!!. The first ride I ended up in the neighbors yard, upright but embarrased :oops: Turns out the air was real low in the tires.I rode down to the clubhouse where there is an air compressor, I passed by three old ladies two who said "OH MY" and the third nearly broke her neck trying to figure out what she had just seen :shock: After airing up it rode better but still a bit squirrely (sp?) I am sure it is the apes, well that and the fact that it is a tandem w/ a :trike rear end :wink: I have started building the frame for the flatbed will have pics of that as I progress. 8)opps ,forgot the pics of how it sits now.
newbuildtrike005.jpg

newbuildtrike003.jpg

Love this idea. It is along the lines of a thought Ive been having about how to haul surfboards. Can't wait to see more pictures..Have fun.

Put cooler full of beer in the back, ya know, just to see if "handles" better! :lol:

KOTA said:
Put cooler full of beer in the back, ya know, just to see if "handles" better! :lol:

You're right on the money, my tandem is much more stable with a stoker on the back. A cooler of beer would be good too, though it wouldn't help pedal. Some kind of human/keg hybrid would be ideal.

OK, so I got the first phase complete. I don't know if it will make it to the second phase. Every bike I have ever ridden has been easy, comfortable, but not this one. Comfy yes but easy no.The tandem will probably become a single speed tandem and the trike rear has many more lives to come. This will make a fine parade, party, Fat Tire Fest bike, but for everyday riding this isn't the one.It has gotten plenty of comments ,but that is to be expected,look at the darn thing. :shock: Overall it has been a good learning experience. Don't get me wrong this is a fun bike, but not what you would want to make a daily rider. :wink: The rear part of the bed lifts up to get in the trunk area(basket).
newbuildtrike007.jpg

newbuildtrike006.jpg

I am 6' and 260 pds the bike is 8 1/2' long just to give some perspective :lol:

This thing kicks FNAsdsdsdsddd! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 EM (still got my 73' to try this with!) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Came out great! Nice color choice..............Hey I'm 6'.. 260lbs. Think maybe I could borrow it sometime. :lol: 8)

Ok, the trike tandem has been disassembled. It was a fun build and a learning experience. Just not practical at all and not that fun to ride either, in fact a little scary at times,lol. Put the original Schwinn trike back together. Turns out that it is a 1963 .I belive it is a Hollywood model,but not positive about that.Once I found out it was 45 years old I took a little more intrest in her. Greased everything, cleaned the rims , and all the chrome and then repainted. All the parts seem original except the rear. Schwinn wheels but not old ones,handle grips look great, just needed a good cleaning. I dont think the seat was original, I put a cheap replacement on it that I had. Take a look at how long the seat post is ,it is only 1" shorter than the tube. :shock: This is going on CL this week.150.00 -- 175.00
newbuildtrike010.jpg

newbuildtrike011.jpg

newbuildtrike015.jpg

newbuildtrike013.jpg

newbuildtrike012.jpg

Back