tandem the tank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. this is actually my second time building this bike. It started out as simply a frame picked up at a swap meet for $25 bucks. it came wit the cranks(not original) walf fork and seat posts. and some brakes off of a moountain bike. sadly i dont have pictures of it hen i first got it, but eventually it tunred into this.
tandem.jpg

tandem1.jpg

:D (by the way in the first picture the chain is hooked up wrong from the front crank to the rear crank. i fixed it later) :D
now the story behind this bike is that my father and i were at this bike swap meet, and came across this frame. my friend who was also there was trying to talk me into gettig it, i wasnt so interested but my dad who rides often saw it and told me to get it and build it for him so that he could get my mom to ride with him. i agreed and he paid for parts while i built it (my father is not very mechanical) so i built it as a gift to my mother for her birthday from my father and i. the bike was originaly copertone but had been painted in over in god knows how mnay colors... all poorly done. so i stripped it and painted it in a color similar to the original. I LOVE COPPERTONE. :D now the wheels are a single speed and evverything wored ok. infact my sister and i took it for a 30mile ride once. howveer the chains kept binindg and there were several problems with the cranks..... and the springer fork while we thought it looked great rode realyy poorly on a bike this heavy. my dad jokingly named it the Panzer afterGerman tanks becasue of how heavy this bike is.

so now a year later i have taken a new angle at this bike and i have decided to go a new route. i started by using bottom braket adaptors so that i can put in a 1 peice bottom bracket. (road bike style) and i bought 3 sets of single speed roadbike cranks. im also lacing a SA 8speed drum brake hub into the rear wheel. and placing the wald fork that came with the bike back on. :D ive been putting it together and things are running beutifly so far. :D ill post up pics in a min

thanks :D im just lookin forward to gettin it on the road. only small snag i just hit was i just noticed the rear dropouts are too narrow for the SA hub... ill have to fix that :roll:

masterpoop63 said:
all thread and some washers :mrgreen:
my thoughts exactly i was debating this or using a long wood 2x4... haha i like the threaded rod and washer ide much better. thanks!

hey guys on a side note i didnt mention this earlier. but one of the big deals about this bike for my dad especialy since its for my mom, is that about a year ago my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, and a pretty agressive form, after that she had a masactomy, then the doctors later told her she had colon cancer as well, she went through some intense ratiation treatment, and now she has a bag, temporaily for a bout 6 months and will be geting chemo therapy as well. she seems to be stuggling at the moment but the doctors are all confident that she will be better soon. so this bike for my dad and i is a bit of a labor of love and we both would just ask that if your reading through this you throw up a prayer or a thought up for her. thanks! :D

Thats a nice tadem! 8) Those are the most hideous brakes Ive ever seen though haha. I got a nice schwinn approved dia compe set if you need em just let me know

LarzBahrs said:
Thats a nice tadem! 8) Those are the most hideous brakes Ive ever seen though haha. I got a nice schwinn approved dia compe set if you need em just let me know
no i completly agree. these are the most hideous brakes know to man! they came with the bike, and stop the thing almost as bad as they look on it. thanks for the offer, but my dad is insiting on a disc brake setup on the front. anybody happen to have the parts to make this work???? :D otherwise ill just weld a disc brake bracket onto the fork (not shure if the forks chromoly or not...lets hope its not) hopefully that wont be so bad looking. the bike is really heavy and the rear brake will now be a 70mm drum. im hoping the disc will give this tandem the ultimate stopping power

been a while since i updated. been lacing up the rear wheel ever o slowley and this wheel has been a pain in the rear. :x but finally lookin like its about done, still gotta widen the frame havent gotten to that yet, but hopefully some new pics will be up soon! :D

Latest posts

Back